Gillian Sanger

When does our work environment need to shift vs. our attitude towards it?

I began working in developmentally disabled after high school and loved it.  The environment became toxic and from then on I never stayed at any of my jobs.  It was difficult to chose a career because of not finding an environment that I felt I would be able to handle.  I did nursing jobs, group homes, state hospitals, bank collections, Subway server, Walmart, and finally the last jobs were retail management.  That broke me to where I am today.  I never had a problem with the residents, clients, or people I dealt with but the co-workers and the attitudes were atrocious.  My "job" has always been to make people happier than when they first met me.  I enjoyed every job and one does not stand out more than the other.  Probably why I now prefer to work on this computer or in small group classes.   Not sure this is what you meant.  My co-workers were difficult people.  

@Paige PIlege - Yes, I do think your answer reflects the question 🙂 In my own experience, it's sometimes been hard to discern between when my environment needs to change and when my attitude towards it does. It's become much clearer as I tune into my intuition, and these questions don't often pose such difficulties within me, but I struggled for a long time in past jobs knowing when it was time to leave and when I needed to be more open/more communicative/etc etc.

• Like 1

Hello @Gillian Sanger and @Paige PIlege,

I have worked in the health and social services field for over 30 years in various positions. I have experienced moments when I changed my experience by seeking out new employment and shifting my perspective about work. I think that there were also instances where I stayed too long in a job and put too much emphasis on shifting my perspective. But my strategy was positive thinking rather than mindfulness of what I was experiencing.  I did learn a lot about the benefits of seeing the positive in situations. However, I was not doing this in the context of also being mindful of how I was experiencing stressful work and the impact it was having on me. 

When I look back, I think that my strategy was focused too much on my intellectual ability to shift and not a mindful shift which blunted my intuition about stressful work situations. This lack of balance also hampered my ability to respond to situations and left me stuck in reaction when stressful events occurred. 

What I know works for me is working for an employer who values equity, justice, with a commitment to helping other people.  I also know that I need to work with people who are committed to supporting the team and helping others to succeed. I still experience stressful situations, but I am trying to tap into my intuition through mindfulness to shift my perspective about what is occurring. If the environment includes working with people who are equitable, just, and passionate about teamwork and helping others, then I know that my focus needs to be shifting my perspective in stressful situations. If these values do not exist where I work, then I know that I must move on and find other work. 

As I read this, it sounds like I have it all worked out, but this is still all a work in progress.

Thanks for listening.

Kind Regards,

Gene

• Like 2

Thank you for the thoughtful response to this topic @Gene Williams. That's a wonderfully balanced perspective. I agree that sometimes we can take the 'positive thinking' approach at the expense of our intuition or authentic needs and dreams. At the same time, we can swing to the opposite end of the spectrum and too quickly jump from job to job think that the external world needs to change. Usually, I think, it's a nuanced blend of the two approaches that is needed.

• Like 2

I agree @Gene Williams @Gillian SangerWe swing one way and then the next searching for that one moment that will last longer than previously.  Holds peace and balance.  As a tire swings back and forth for a straight line.  We will always swing off and then on throughout life.  The gift is knowing it can be reached occasionally.  Knowing that it exist together is where I am finally reaching and feel very reassuring for hope for others.  Myself finally seeing where I find my peace.  Help  others find theirs.  

Being a positive person at birth.  I lived my life to change lives.  I remember as a young person just wanting people around me to be happy.  Every job was to make others happy.  It never came to me to lose MY happiness but along the lines of life experiences it happens.  When it comes back, the miracle has happened.  

I am also new to Mindfully meditating although meditating for over 30 years to various sounds and guided ones.  Putting this with my Qigong practice is such a bonus.  That is what I have been working on this last month.  The Virus has put me up front and needed.  As with all of us at this time.  

Blessings, 

Paige

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 8:07 AM, Gillian Sanger said:

Thank you for the thoughtful response to this topic @Gene Williams. That's a wonderfully balanced perspective. I agree that sometimes we can take the 'positive thinking' approach at the expense of our intuition or authentic needs and dreams. At the same time, we can swing to the opposite end of the spectrum and too quickly jump from job to job think that the external world needs to change. Usually, I think, it's a nuanced blend of the two approaches that is needed.

Thank you @Gillian Sanger

• Like 1