Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone,

Last night, I was getting stuck in obsessing about a work-related challenge and was aware that I was mentally reacting to the situation and getting stuck thinking about all the worse case scenarios that could occur. I practiced breathing, recognizing the thoughts, accepting them,  investigating the what I was feeling, and how my body was reacting.

I became aware of a deep pit in the middle of my upper chest that felt like pressure and a squeeze. I was surprised and excited that I could identify this body sensation in the moment. When I processed this, my mind moved on to another challenge and I repeated the process for this new emerging thought. The same thing happened. In both cases, I was able to bring a sense of softness and some loving kindness to what I was experiencing. 

I feel like I am making progress!!

Any questions or comments are welcome.

Regards,

Gene

 

Edited by Gene Williams
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful share @Gene Williams! This is such a wonderful reminder of the wisdom and power of the physical body. In our modern way of being we have become so accustomed to looking at and analyzing the mind, but when we tune into the body, we can experience this deeper level of silent wisdom and insight.

Have you done many body scan/body awareness practices before?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gillian Sanger said:

Beautiful share @Gene Williams! This is such a wonderful reminder of the wisdom and power of the physical body. In our modern way of being we have become so accustomed to looking at and analyzing the mind, but when we tune into the body, we can experience this deeper level of silent wisdom and insight.

Have you done many body scan/body awareness practices before?

Hi @Gillian Sanger

My experience with body scans has been sporadic. I dabbled with them a few years ago and was not consistent. I am just recently started to practice them on a daily basis. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am just getting used to teaching online.  I have found out that keeping it simple is the best.  I remember trying to use the saying "less is best", so in teaching normally I would go crazy trying to create a perfect program and outline or practice plan for ea. category of learner, etc.  Making all sorts of different prices and age frames,etc.  Actually making things more complicated and taking up time.  Mindfulness has helped me create the space to just go with what I know.  I do know enough.  It seems like such a relief. 

Slowly adding programs once a person gets into the group.  Now I have the most amazing feeling when I do a class and I am heard and respected because I am the expert of my knowledge, my experiences and results.  No fear, no anxiety over doing the preparations.  No distractions and slowly getting enough students and groups that I am comfortable with.  Awesomeness.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2020 at 5:32 AM, Gene Williams said:

Hello everyone,

Last night, I was getting stuck in obsessing about a work-related challenge and was aware that I was mentally reacting to the situation and getting stuck thinking about all the worse case scenarios that could occur. I practiced breathing, recognizing the thoughts, accepting them,  investigating the what I was feeling, and how my body was reacting.

I became aware of a deep pit in the middle of my upper chest that felt like pressure and a squeeze. I was surprised and excited that I could identify this body sensation in the moment. When I processed this, my mind moved on to another challenge and I repeated the process for this new emerging thought. The same thing happened. In both cases, I was able to bring a sense of softness and some loving kindness to what I was experiencing. 

I feel like I am making progress!!

Any questions or comments are welcome.

Regards,

Gene

 

Doesn't it feel great to notice progress? Proud of you Gene!

I'm participating in the MBSR program and have been doing body scans daily for over a week now, and have done them many times in the past. I find them one of the easiest ways to meditate, since you have something to focus on. Typically, I feel tingly in each body part as the meditation progresses. I'm often surprised at how much tension I'm holding in my face, shoulders, or legs that releases once my attention is drawn there. Another sensation I've been paying attention to is a knot in my throat, which tends to occur when I'm holding back from speaking my truth. So cool that our bodies communicate so directly to us is we simply tune in and pay attention!

If you like body scan meditations, I would encourage you to continue doing them, since they really help me tune in to sensations and recognize what these sensations are trying to communicate to me. Plus, it's relaxing and feels good!

There are some good guided body scan meditations on the free app 'Meditation'

Edited by Jo L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2020 at 5:52 PM, Paige PIlege said:

I am just getting used to teaching online.  I have found out that keeping it simple is the best.  I remember trying to use the saying "less is best", so in teaching normally I would go crazy trying to create a perfect program and outline or practice plan for ea. category of learner, etc.  Making all sorts of different prices and age frames,etc.  Actually making things more complicated and taking up time.  Mindfulness has helped me create the space to just go with what I know.  I do know enough.  It seems like such a relief. 

Slowly adding programs once a person gets into the group.  Now I have the most amazing feeling when I do a class and I am heard and respected because I am the expert of my knowledge, my experiences and results.  No fear, no anxiety over doing the preparations.  No distractions and slowly getting enough students and groups that I am comfortable with.  Awesomeness.  

That's great Paige! Teachers are my favorite people. What grade do you teach? I'm sure you're looking forward to summer. My friend who teaches says online teaching is actually a lot more work, but it sounds like you've found a way to streamline it and make it doable. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jo L said:

That's great Paige! Teachers are my favorite people. What grade do you teach? I'm sure you're looking forward to summer. My friend who teaches says online teaching is actually a lot more work, but it sounds like you've found a way to streamline it and make it doable. 

I teach Chinese Medical Qigong.  I have been learning since 2013.  I have my first repeat students now.  One is 70 years old and the other is a 45 single, mom.  It is cool.  Just enough to keep me busy with my own cultivating practice.  It is for any age from 12 on up.  I use to coach summer soccer way long time ago when my kids were small. lol.  Just love kids and people.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jo L said:

Doesn't it feel great to notice progress? Proud of you Gene!

I'm participating in the MBSR program and have been doing body scans daily for over a week now, and have done them many times in the past. I find them one of the easiest ways to meditate, since you have something to focus on.

Thank you @Jo L, It does feel good. And I hope all is well with you and your practice.

Kind Regards,

Gene

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Paige PIlege said:

I teach Chinese Medical Qigong.  I have been learning since 2013.  I have my first repeat students now.  One is 70 years old and the other is a 45 single, mom.  It is cool.  Just enough to keep me busy with my own cultivating practice.  It is for any age from 12 on up.  I use to coach summer soccer way long time ago when my kids were small. lol.  Just love kids and people.  

That's amazing Paige! I love Qigong, but have only dabbled in it. What a wonderful thing to practice and teach.  Do you do any yoga?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 6:51 AM, Jo L said:

That's amazing Paige! I love Qigong, but have only dabbled in it. What a wonderful thing to practice and teach.  Do you do any yoga?

No not yet.  I hope to in a year or so.  Thank you.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Paige PIlege said:

No not yet.  I hope to in a year or so.  Thank you.  

Wonderful! Of course I have nothing but good things to say about yoga. I just joined an online yoga group that also offers Qigong, and I love it! So soothing and grounding. It is going to be a regular part of my regime. Thanks for the idea🙂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2020 at 5:58 AM, Jo L said:

Wonderful! Of course I have nothing but good things to say about yoga. I just joined an online yoga group that also offers Qigong, and I love it! So soothing and grounding. It is going to be a regular part of my regime. Thanks for the idea🙂

Your very welcome. I am training 3x a week in both yoga and qigong also.  or Practice I guess you could say.  It has been a chore getting it in regularly.  Keep striving.  Blessings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Announcements

  • Recent Posts

    • Always grateful for the thoughtful inquiries posted in this forum.  Thank you, @Gillian Sanger The turning of the seasons (of of the wheel, as my teacher refers to it) brings about both subtle and more noticeable shifts in my moods, energies, thoughts, and emotions.  As my mindfulness practices deepen, so too does my awareness of these shifts. I love the fall...something about the crispness of the air and the colors changing reminds me of the beauty that is here.  To pause and to notice it.  Yet as the winter approaches here on the east coast of the US, I sense in myself a withdrawing, or perhaps a better way to say it would be a drawing inward.  In some ways, (and even as a child I sensed this), there is a sense of protection and almost a relief at the shorter days arriving- it gives me a valid reason to stay home more, quiet, with less 'noise'.  To make more space for my introverted tendencies.  To read, sit by candlelight, slow down.  I love the cloak of darkness, the solitude (or the feeling of solitude).  I relish it actually. Hope this finds all of you healthy, safe, and at ease. Rachel
    • Yeah, I'm search for the right one, that's not to expensive; hearing is everything for me...
    • This week's question asks: How is the current season influencing you? I talked to a friend a few weeks ago who lives in Australia. She expressed feeling light and energized as the summer season was beginning. Here in Sweden, the days were growing very dark, which brought about a different energy to my own being. Of course the season influences us differently from day to day, but I invite you to consider how your current season is impacting you in this moment. How does mind or body feel based on the temperature, lightness/darkness, and other environmental conditions around you?
    • enhancing non-judgmental moment-to-moment awareness Hi All!  Here is your weekly dose of "5 Mindful Musings", a brief list of what's helping me live a more mindful life. An Event I'm Interested In  Wise and Compassionate Action: Creating Tech Worthy of the Human Spirit. Jack Kornfield is a Founding Senior Advisor to this collective of impressive thought leaders who serve tech leaders and teams with the tools, knowledge, and community to create tech that brings out the best in all of us. This December 15th event should be an interesting discussion, with Jack sharing a meditation for us to start. (Note: No one will be turned away for a lack of funds.) A Quote I Like "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't -- you're right." - Henry Ford New Mindfulness Exercises I Just Shared Freely - Is It Selfish To Want Happiness? As human beings we want nothing more than to be happy. And yet, do we really believe we deserve it? Among the barriers to our happiness is the insidious idea that it’s selfish to want happiness. It’s not. In fact, not pursuing happiness may be the most self-indulgent thing we can do.  - What It Means To Protect The Mind & Why It Matters. Our minds are our most valuable asset. Mindful living requires a healthy mind and without it, we can’t realize our full potential. Mindfulness helps protect our minds, and a protected mind makes mindfulness more attainable. Learn what it means to protect your mind, and why it matters.   An Important Lesson On Trauma Sensitivity Understanding the Window of Tolerance. Understanding and working with the concept of the "window of tolerance" can help our meditation practice to feel safe and stable. It is only within this window of tolerance (or window of safety) that we can continue the mindful work of releasing past trauma. A Poem I Love The Debate I’m listening to my father and his brother, both in their eighties, debate their childhood from adjoining La-Z-Boy recliners. "We had no toys," my father insists. "What are you talking about, no toys?" My uncle practically leaps from his chair, except he can’t, on account of his back and his legs and his feet and his hips. "We had tons of toys!" Then he lists them: the playing cards ("Those don’t count," my father says); the train set ("Oh, yeah, I forgot about the train set"); the sleds — "Did anyone else on our block have sleds?" Uncle Barry asks. "Nineteen-forty, people are crawling out of the Great Depression on hands and knees, tell me: Did anyone on our block besides us have a sled?" My father’s father had a good job delivering newspapers and brought home sixty-five dollars a week, enough for Chinese food every Friday and cupcakes on birthdays. "We really didn’t have birthday parties," my father contends, and my uncle lunges at this. "What are you talking about? What about that surprise party when you turned thirteen?" "That was the only time," my father counters. Don’t even try, Uncle Barry, I almost say, then catch myself. I want this unwinnable argument to continue — forever, if possible. I want the Brooklyn music of their voices entwined in a duet with no resolution. I want the song — half lament, half celebration — to go on and on and on. - Alison Luterman, The Sun As always, please feel free to share your feedback in our Mindfulness Community Forums. Which musing above is your favorite? What do you want more or less of? Other suggestions? Just add a post to the forum and let me know!  Subscribe to our YouTube channel for exclusive, free mindfulness trainings. Wishing you well,    Sean Fargo Founder, Mindfulness Exercises       P.S. - Try Our 100-Day Mindfulness Challenge Receive free daily mindfulness meditations, worksheets and infographics to help you start each day mindful.  Over 10,000 people have take this challenge to become more mindful.  Sign up for free HERE. 
    • Hi everyone, I hope you are well. I just wanted to start a conversation about mindfulness around the holidays. Do you have any concerns about how to approach the holidays with presence and awareness? Perhaps related to gift giving, holiday foods and drink, being with family (or perhaps being without them this year). Feel free to share what's on your mind or heart if you are approaching a holiday seasons and have some thoughts, insights, or questions about it. There are two new articles up on the Mindfulness Exercises blog related to this topic, one on mindful gift giving and one on mindful eating. 
  • Recent Topics

  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.