Posted (edited)

Hello everyone,

Last night, I was getting stuck in obsessing about a work-related challenge and was aware that I was mentally reacting to the situation and getting stuck thinking about all the worse case scenarios that could occur. I practiced breathing, recognizing the thoughts, accepting them,  investigating the what I was feeling, and how my body was reacting.

I became aware of a deep pit in the middle of my upper chest that felt like pressure and a squeeze. I was surprised and excited that I could identify this body sensation in the moment. When I processed this, my mind moved on to another challenge and I repeated the process for this new emerging thought. The same thing happened. In both cases, I was able to bring a sense of softness and some loving kindness to what I was experiencing. 

I feel like I am making progress!!

Any questions or comments are welcome.

Regards,

Gene

Edited by Gene Williams
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful share @Gene Williams! This is such a wonderful reminder of the wisdom and power of the physical body. In our modern way of being we have become so accustomed to looking at and analyzing the mind, but when we tune into the body, we can experience this deeper level of silent wisdom and insight.

Have you done many body scan/body awareness practices before?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gillian Sanger said:

Beautiful share @Gene Williams! This is such a wonderful reminder of the wisdom and power of the physical body. In our modern way of being we have become so accustomed to looking at and analyzing the mind, but when we tune into the body, we can experience this deeper level of silent wisdom and insight.

Have you done many body scan/body awareness practices before?

Hi @Gillian Sanger

My experience with body scans has been sporadic. I dabbled with them a few years ago and was not consistent. I am just recently started to practice them on a daily basis. 

• Like 1

I am just getting used to teaching online.  I have found out that keeping it simple is the best.  I remember trying to use the saying "less is best", so in teaching normally I would go crazy trying to create a perfect program and outline or practice plan for ea. category of learner, etc.  Making all sorts of different prices and age frames,etc.  Actually making things more complicated and taking up time.  Mindfulness has helped me create the space to just go with what I know.  I do know enough.  It seems like such a relief. 

Slowly adding programs once a person gets into the group.  Now I have the most amazing feeling when I do a class and I am heard and respected because I am the expert of my knowledge, my experiences and results.  No fear, no anxiety over doing the preparations.  No distractions and slowly getting enough students and groups that I am comfortable with.  Awesomeness.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2020 at 5:32 AM, Gene Williams said:

Hello everyone,

Last night, I was getting stuck in obsessing about a work-related challenge and was aware that I was mentally reacting to the situation and getting stuck thinking about all the worse case scenarios that could occur. I practiced breathing, recognizing the thoughts, accepting them,  investigating the what I was feeling, and how my body was reacting.

I became aware of a deep pit in the middle of my upper chest that felt like pressure and a squeeze. I was surprised and excited that I could identify this body sensation in the moment. When I processed this, my mind moved on to another challenge and I repeated the process for this new emerging thought. The same thing happened. In both cases, I was able to bring a sense of softness and some loving kindness to what I was experiencing. 

I feel like I am making progress!!

Any questions or comments are welcome.

Regards,

Gene

Doesn't it feel great to notice progress? Proud of you Gene!

I'm participating in the MBSR program and have been doing body scans daily for over a week now, and have done them many times in the past. I find them one of the easiest ways to meditate, since you have something to focus on. Typically, I feel tingly in each body part as the meditation progresses. I'm often surprised at how much tension I'm holding in my face, shoulders, or legs that releases once my attention is drawn there. Another sensation I've been paying attention to is a knot in my throat, which tends to occur when I'm holding back from speaking my truth. So cool that our bodies communicate so directly to us is we simply tune in and pay attention!

If you like body scan meditations, I would encourage you to continue doing them, since they really help me tune in to sensations and recognize what these sensations are trying to communicate to me. Plus, it's relaxing and feels good!

There are some good guided body scan meditations on the free app 'Meditation'

Edited by Jo L

On 5/16/2020 at 5:52 PM, Paige PIlege said:

I am just getting used to teaching online.  I have found out that keeping it simple is the best.  I remember trying to use the saying "less is best", so in teaching normally I would go crazy trying to create a perfect program and outline or practice plan for ea. category of learner, etc.  Making all sorts of different prices and age frames,etc.  Actually making things more complicated and taking up time.  Mindfulness has helped me create the space to just go with what I know.  I do know enough.  It seems like such a relief. 

Slowly adding programs once a person gets into the group.  Now I have the most amazing feeling when I do a class and I am heard and respected because I am the expert of my knowledge, my experiences and results.  No fear, no anxiety over doing the preparations.  No distractions and slowly getting enough students and groups that I am comfortable with.  Awesomeness.  

That's great Paige! Teachers are my favorite people. What grade do you teach? I'm sure you're looking forward to summer. My friend who teaches says online teaching is actually a lot more work, but it sounds like you've found a way to streamline it and make it doable. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jo L said:

That's great Paige! Teachers are my favorite people. What grade do you teach? I'm sure you're looking forward to summer. My friend who teaches says online teaching is actually a lot more work, but it sounds like you've found a way to streamline it and make it doable. 

I teach Chinese Medical Qigong.  I have been learning since 2013.  I have my first repeat students now.  One is 70 years old and the other is a 45 single, mom.  It is cool.  Just enough to keep me busy with my own cultivating practice.  It is for any age from 12 on up.  I use to coach summer soccer way long time ago when my kids were small. lol.  Just love kids and people.  

23 hours ago, Jo L said:

Doesn't it feel great to notice progress? Proud of you Gene!

I'm participating in the MBSR program and have been doing body scans daily for over a week now, and have done them many times in the past. I find them one of the easiest ways to meditate, since you have something to focus on.

Thank you @Jo L, It does feel good. And I hope all is well with you and your practice.

Kind Regards,

Gene

14 hours ago, Paige PIlege said:

I teach Chinese Medical Qigong.  I have been learning since 2013.  I have my first repeat students now.  One is 70 years old and the other is a 45 single, mom.  It is cool.  Just enough to keep me busy with my own cultivating practice.  It is for any age from 12 on up.  I use to coach summer soccer way long time ago when my kids were small. lol.  Just love kids and people.  

That's amazing Paige! I love Qigong, but have only dabbled in it. What a wonderful thing to practice and teach.  Do you do any yoga?

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 6:51 AM, Jo L said:

That's amazing Paige! I love Qigong, but have only dabbled in it. What a wonderful thing to practice and teach.  Do you do any yoga?

No not yet.  I hope to in a year or so.  Thank you.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Paige PIlege said:

No not yet.  I hope to in a year or so.  Thank you.  

Wonderful! Of course I have nothing but good things to say about yoga. I just joined an online yoga group that also offers Qigong, and I love it! So soothing and grounding. It is going to be a regular part of my regime. Thanks for the idea🙂

• Like 2

On 5/25/2020 at 5:58 AM, Jo L said:

Wonderful! Of course I have nothing but good things to say about yoga. I just joined an online yoga group that also offers Qigong, and I love it! So soothing and grounding. It is going to be a regular part of my regime. Thanks for the idea🙂

Your very welcome. I am training 3x a week in both yoga and qigong also.  or Practice I guess you could say.  It has been a chore getting it in regularly.  Keep striving.  Blessings