Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone,

Last night, I was getting stuck in obsessing about a work-related challenge and was aware that I was mentally reacting to the situation and getting stuck thinking about all the worse case scenarios that could occur. I practiced breathing, recognizing the thoughts, accepting them,  investigating the what I was feeling, and how my body was reacting.

I became aware of a deep pit in the middle of my upper chest that felt like pressure and a squeeze. I was surprised and excited that I could identify this body sensation in the moment. When I processed this, my mind moved on to another challenge and I repeated the process for this new emerging thought. The same thing happened. In both cases, I was able to bring a sense of softness and some loving kindness to what I was experiencing. 

I feel like I am making progress!!

Any questions or comments are welcome.

Regards,

Gene

 

Edited by Gene Williams
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful share @Gene Williams! This is such a wonderful reminder of the wisdom and power of the physical body. In our modern way of being we have become so accustomed to looking at and analyzing the mind, but when we tune into the body, we can experience this deeper level of silent wisdom and insight.

Have you done many body scan/body awareness practices before?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gillian Sanger said:

Beautiful share @Gene Williams! This is such a wonderful reminder of the wisdom and power of the physical body. In our modern way of being we have become so accustomed to looking at and analyzing the mind, but when we tune into the body, we can experience this deeper level of silent wisdom and insight.

Have you done many body scan/body awareness practices before?

Hi @Gillian Sanger

My experience with body scans has been sporadic. I dabbled with them a few years ago and was not consistent. I am just recently started to practice them on a daily basis. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am just getting used to teaching online.  I have found out that keeping it simple is the best.  I remember trying to use the saying "less is best", so in teaching normally I would go crazy trying to create a perfect program and outline or practice plan for ea. category of learner, etc.  Making all sorts of different prices and age frames,etc.  Actually making things more complicated and taking up time.  Mindfulness has helped me create the space to just go with what I know.  I do know enough.  It seems like such a relief. 

Slowly adding programs once a person gets into the group.  Now I have the most amazing feeling when I do a class and I am heard and respected because I am the expert of my knowledge, my experiences and results.  No fear, no anxiety over doing the preparations.  No distractions and slowly getting enough students and groups that I am comfortable with.  Awesomeness.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2020 at 5:32 AM, Gene Williams said:

Hello everyone,

Last night, I was getting stuck in obsessing about a work-related challenge and was aware that I was mentally reacting to the situation and getting stuck thinking about all the worse case scenarios that could occur. I practiced breathing, recognizing the thoughts, accepting them,  investigating the what I was feeling, and how my body was reacting.

I became aware of a deep pit in the middle of my upper chest that felt like pressure and a squeeze. I was surprised and excited that I could identify this body sensation in the moment. When I processed this, my mind moved on to another challenge and I repeated the process for this new emerging thought. The same thing happened. In both cases, I was able to bring a sense of softness and some loving kindness to what I was experiencing. 

I feel like I am making progress!!

Any questions or comments are welcome.

Regards,

Gene

 

Doesn't it feel great to notice progress? Proud of you Gene!

I'm participating in the MBSR program and have been doing body scans daily for over a week now, and have done them many times in the past. I find them one of the easiest ways to meditate, since you have something to focus on. Typically, I feel tingly in each body part as the meditation progresses. I'm often surprised at how much tension I'm holding in my face, shoulders, or legs that releases once my attention is drawn there. Another sensation I've been paying attention to is a knot in my throat, which tends to occur when I'm holding back from speaking my truth. So cool that our bodies communicate so directly to us is we simply tune in and pay attention!

If you like body scan meditations, I would encourage you to continue doing them, since they really help me tune in to sensations and recognize what these sensations are trying to communicate to me. Plus, it's relaxing and feels good!

There are some good guided body scan meditations on the free app 'Meditation'

Edited by Jo L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2020 at 5:52 PM, Paige PIlege said:

I am just getting used to teaching online.  I have found out that keeping it simple is the best.  I remember trying to use the saying "less is best", so in teaching normally I would go crazy trying to create a perfect program and outline or practice plan for ea. category of learner, etc.  Making all sorts of different prices and age frames,etc.  Actually making things more complicated and taking up time.  Mindfulness has helped me create the space to just go with what I know.  I do know enough.  It seems like such a relief. 

Slowly adding programs once a person gets into the group.  Now I have the most amazing feeling when I do a class and I am heard and respected because I am the expert of my knowledge, my experiences and results.  No fear, no anxiety over doing the preparations.  No distractions and slowly getting enough students and groups that I am comfortable with.  Awesomeness.  

That's great Paige! Teachers are my favorite people. What grade do you teach? I'm sure you're looking forward to summer. My friend who teaches says online teaching is actually a lot more work, but it sounds like you've found a way to streamline it and make it doable. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jo L said:

That's great Paige! Teachers are my favorite people. What grade do you teach? I'm sure you're looking forward to summer. My friend who teaches says online teaching is actually a lot more work, but it sounds like you've found a way to streamline it and make it doable. 

I teach Chinese Medical Qigong.  I have been learning since 2013.  I have my first repeat students now.  One is 70 years old and the other is a 45 single, mom.  It is cool.  Just enough to keep me busy with my own cultivating practice.  It is for any age from 12 on up.  I use to coach summer soccer way long time ago when my kids were small. lol.  Just love kids and people.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jo L said:

Doesn't it feel great to notice progress? Proud of you Gene!

I'm participating in the MBSR program and have been doing body scans daily for over a week now, and have done them many times in the past. I find them one of the easiest ways to meditate, since you have something to focus on.

Thank you @Jo L, It does feel good. And I hope all is well with you and your practice.

Kind Regards,

Gene

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Paige PIlege said:

I teach Chinese Medical Qigong.  I have been learning since 2013.  I have my first repeat students now.  One is 70 years old and the other is a 45 single, mom.  It is cool.  Just enough to keep me busy with my own cultivating practice.  It is for any age from 12 on up.  I use to coach summer soccer way long time ago when my kids were small. lol.  Just love kids and people.  

That's amazing Paige! I love Qigong, but have only dabbled in it. What a wonderful thing to practice and teach.  Do you do any yoga?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 6:51 AM, Jo L said:

That's amazing Paige! I love Qigong, but have only dabbled in it. What a wonderful thing to practice and teach.  Do you do any yoga?

No not yet.  I hope to in a year or so.  Thank you.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Paige PIlege said:

No not yet.  I hope to in a year or so.  Thank you.  

Wonderful! Of course I have nothing but good things to say about yoga. I just joined an online yoga group that also offers Qigong, and I love it! So soothing and grounding. It is going to be a regular part of my regime. Thanks for the idea🙂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2020 at 5:58 AM, Jo L said:

Wonderful! Of course I have nothing but good things to say about yoga. I just joined an online yoga group that also offers Qigong, and I love it! So soothing and grounding. It is going to be a regular part of my regime. Thanks for the idea🙂

Your very welcome. I am training 3x a week in both yoga and qigong also.  or Practice I guess you could say.  It has been a chore getting it in regularly.  Keep striving.  Blessings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Announcements

  • This community is designed to be a welcoming space to enhance mindfulness inquiry and exploration. In this spirit, please share and respond mindfully and compassionately, cultivating continued respect, safety, and support for all.
  • QUESTION OF THE WEEK – How do you practice compassion?
  • Recent Posts

    • Just out of curiosity. Priyanka, how did you end up here? People move to different countries and it always fascinates me. I had a hard enough time moving form one state to another and that was only 2 1/2 hours ago.
    • My friend, Shanta, is from Bengal but has been staying with her daughter for the past few months. I can not remember where she lives but now she and her husband are unable to get back to Bengal because of the virus. It sounds like you say-different in each part you go to. Where she lives the dogs are well taken care of by the people but as you know that is not always the case. She has told me of how she would go out to eat at the vendors that line the streets and it sounds like so much fun. I read something the other day about how valuable trees are there for the vendors in particular because they are out in the heat all day. She loves India but abhors Modi and his regime which she has told me about on many occasions. Trump's pal-how good could he really be? Enjoy the hug. I really must make more of an effort to have a tree hug. I used to have them in the woods behind my house but since my Henry died I can not go up there without him. Now I walk to the pond down the road to see the geese in the morning and Frankie, the old dachshund, and I walk down the other way later on. You as well.
    • yes, nature rules in india- i miss my home very much and the unstructured way things are...where in india is your friend from? i have travelled extensively in India - and each place is like a different country, with different language, customs, and cuisines...  and yes -  i lived in new delhi which also has peacocks in some parts of the city - infact i was teaching at the austral high commission and there were peacocks right out side on the balcony ... i have a picture somewhere... and yes...dogs are all over the streets - one has to be careful of course as they bite sometimes...but i have never had a bad experience and usually feed them biscuits ...and befriend them. i will give the trees a hug for you... take care and be safe....
    • Pointing in the direction to which I alluded, I offer this brief talk by noted neuroscientist and author Antonio Damasio. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilrelFkDYls For those fans of Buddha's teachings, I would point out that the Buddha had very similar insights, without the benefit of modern technology and science, some 2500 years ago and modern mindfulness teachings in great part derive from those insights. My personal view of his teachings on the Four Foundations of Mindfulness is to immerse one in the foundations for wisdom and wellbeing as opposed to ignorance/delusion and suffering. It starts with the first foundation--mindfulness of the body, or mindfulness of the sensations of the body and developing a deep and relaxed awareness of the body, the ground of our experience. It progresses to the second foundation--mindfulness of feelings, understanding that our intentions and impulses to act even on the mental level involve basic feelings intertwined with cognition of sensations. The conditions for their arising involve body states just as sensations do. They in turn affect the quality of our conscious experience and the ways we relate to it. This is the third foundation--quality of mind, which is where things really start to get complicated and probably where we could include emotions that express how we subjectively relate to certain objects. This stage easily lends itself to misconceptions and rationalizations for indulging in all sorts of behaviors that are counterproductive in terms of our sustained wellbeing (ignorance/delusion). With practice and experience we begin to turn the corner and appreciate alternatives exist that lead to healthier states of mind. Then we are ready to train in the fourth foundation of mindfulness with various perspectives that help us attune with our nature, deepen our understanding of what those healthier alternatives are for each of us, and make them more readily available to us. This is only my personal understanding. Please feel free to refute or disregard it. I mean it, feel free to be merciless because I might learn something from it.
    • Nature is my salvation and the only thing that keeps me sane  because truly (not looking for pity here) the rest is not great. The road is loud although beautiful and I stressed out so much trying to move from my city of 46 years that I did not see all that is wrong with the house. Too long to go into. I think moving to someplace peaceful with a few acres is an excellent idea which you will love. i will have to  look up Ross island. I have a friend in India who was sending me pictures of the peacocks but they were not roaming rural areas but the city streets as well as the deer. Before that when people were still out and about she sent me a photo of a cow eating the dog's food-meat of all things.  You will love living in nature I think. I may have moved to the wrong place-not sure about the state yet, it is a mixed bag-but i drive home seeing mountains and seeing the occasional wild animal. I do have raccoons who come to my house every day. Cheeky little beings they are. If you find a tree that looks right try giving it a hug. it is a lovely feeling. 
  • Recent Topics

  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.