Gene Williams

Gene's 100 Day Mindfulness Challenge

23 hours ago, Faune said:

I do try to remember to give myself a break and be kind because I am my own worst enemy and strongest critic; i thus must try to support myself and be kind. I am not great at letting go of things and am getting better at not obsessing. Lots of work to do there. 

My only aversion towards people is those who abuse power and torture and kill animals and the planet. It is true I am critical-something to work on. Our species is not my favorite.

Hello @Faune, This is my challenge as well.  When political leaders abuse their power and hurt people, I do feel strong aversion. When you have time, I suggest reading this thread because dealing with this kind of aversion was a major theme:

Kind Regards,

Gene

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Gene Williams am so glad you enjoyed the practice...hope you check out the other meditations and enjoy them.

i am trying to set up a  free yoga/meditation session that all of us can teach on a rotational basis via zoom - tentatively 30 june, would this be something you might be interested in joining? i am trying to set this up with  @Gillian Sanger 's help, as i thought it would be awesome if we could connect  "in person" and teach best practices via a session together...

would love to hear your thoughts?

Edited by yogawithpriyanka
wanted to add a word

I can say with all honesty that I am not qualified to do this. I have been meditating since I think last Oct. and i struggle to be mindful and meditate. I do meditate every day but it  is not always easy.

@Faune

no worries -you dont have to teach - it would be great to have the opportunity to teach - otherwise just join in and enjoy the experience - this is for everyone and if someone wanted to lead a class- they would be more than welcome to do so - if not, they are more than welcome to come to every class and participate ..this is just a way to make this awesome community a little more richer with the ability for us to meet "Face to Face".

so look forward to connecting with you virtually  :)

enjoy this in the meantime:

1 hour ago, yogawithpriyanka said:

@Gene Williams am so glad you enjoyed the practice...hope you check out the other meditations and enjoy them.

i am trying to set up a  free yoga/meditation session that all of us can teach on a rotational basis via zoom - tentatively 30 june, would this be something you might be interested in joining? i am trying to set this up with  @Gillian Sanger 's help, as i thought it would be awesome if we could connect  "in person" and teach best practices via a session together...

Hi @yogawithpriyanka, Thank you for the invitation but I can't commit the time to this and don't think I am qualified to teach yoga/meditation.  I am very much a student and still learning. I wish you all the best.

Kind Regards,

Gene

@Gene Williams You dont have to teach - that is completely optional - i would lead the teaching and anyone else who wants to teach would be welcome, such as @Gillian Sanger might take a class, on the next session, or someone else might volunteer.. - it would be rotational - and this is open to everyone to participate in whatever capacity they want - so would love to see you there ...this is an event for everyone...not just teachers to teach each other ...i think @Gillian Sanger we might need to reword this offer?

33 minutes ago, yogawithpriyanka said:

@Gene Williams You dont have to teach - that is completely optional - i would lead the teaching and anyone else who wants to teach would be welcome, such as @Gillian Sanger might take a class, on the next session, or someone else might volunteer.. - it would be rotational - and this is open to everyone to participate in whatever capacity they want - so would love to see you there ...this is an event for everyone...not just teachers to teach each other ...i think @Gillian Sanger we might need to reword this offer?

Hi Priyanka,

I know you would really like to make this happen, but I think it might be best to let this unfold naturally. I am not sure that rewording it would be the answer as I simply think people have a lot going on and already have their practices and teachings that they are using for support at this time. Why don't we leave it as an announcement for a while (you'll see that it is there in the sidebar) and I'll also be sure to include it in the newsletter tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2020 at 6:07 AM, yogawithpriyanka said:

I am sorry but I have too many obligations right now, I am doing a group free meditation plus going to one and doing the qigong practice takes up my time with clients and zooming classes.  so Sorry.  It sounds so wonderful. 

I would love spaces in my head. I am almost constantly battling thoughts.. I try to let them float away or move them gently but sometimes i just have to kick them out.

18 hours ago, Faune said:

I would love spaces in my head. I am almost constantly battling thoughts.. I try to let them float away or move them gently but sometimes i just have to kick them out.

Hi Faune,

Thanks for sharing this struggle you are having with your thoughts. Have you found any particular mindfulness practices that are of benefit for you, such as specific breathing exercises, body scan practices, or anything else? 

One technique I use when lying in bed if my mind is racing is Dr. Andrew Weil's 4-7-8 breathing technique. Here's a guided practice: 

• Thanks 1

I did just try that and will have to remember to keep doing it. Remembering is the first goal I will actually  listen to it again because i want to figure out the link between the first breathing he did and the 4-7-8. Would this be easy for someone on oxygen i wonder. I have a friend with and immune disorder (years of smoking). She is stuck in the house and she meditates but like me gets wracked with obsessive thinking. I would love to share this with her and she has a hard time sleeping. Thank you for sharing this. I really want to try doing it 2x a day. I am often better than  I was but sometimes are harder than others. I just keep trying. 

Thank you, Gillian, and have a peaceful day.

• Like 1

I just watched the video again, Gillian, and i am glad i did because i did not do the yoga exhale with the breathing and needed to fine tune it. He said religiously and I am an atheist but I wills live to incorporate this practice every day at least twice. I am kidding of course about the religious/ atheist part although i am really an atheist. Thank you so much. The biggest goal now is remembering. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Faune said:

I did just try that and will have to remember to keep doing it. Remembering is the first goal I will actually  listen to it again because i want to figure out the link between the first breathing he did and the 4-7-8. Would this be easy for someone on oxygen i wonder. I have a friend with and immune disorder (years of smoking). She is stuck in the house and she meditates but like me gets wracked with obsessive thinking. I would love to share this with her and she has a hard time sleeping. Thank you for sharing this. I really want to try doing it 2x a day. I am often better than  I was but sometimes are harder than others. I just keep trying. 

Thank you, Gillian, and have a peaceful day.

I'm glad the video was helpful for you Faune! Yes, remembering to practice is always the first step - and one that is often forgotten. I find for myself it can be helpful to schedule it into the day so that it becomes a routine.

As for someone on oxygen - I'd definitely say it's important for them to talk to their doctor or other health care professional before trying anything like this. Maybe this is something your friend can bring with her to her next appointment.