Gillian Sanger

Forgiveness and understanding of our parents

I'm starting to see my parents in a new light - beginning to understand them in a new way and find greater empathy for their own lived experiences. I think this has come down to 1) growing up, and 2) having some difficult conversations that, in the end, ultimately strengthened my relationship to each of them.

Does anyone else have experience with their understanding of their parents shifting over time?

Thank you for your beautiful post!

I struggle with this a great deal. I at this time only have my mother with me on earth.  I have recently lost my grandmother, whom I always related more to as a motherly figure in my life. The way you stated you see them now through the lense of their own life experiences was really freeing to me. I think the reason my mother and I have a limited relationship is a fostering of expectations that were never met. When I think of her through the lense of the life she has experienced I am able to have much greater empathy for her. 

• Like 1

@Sarah - I resonate with this a lot. It really reflects the paradox of life, or the ability to see things through seemingly contradictory lenses. I've started to consider paradoxes a lot lately, and am practicing holding two sides of something at the same time. For instance, can it both be true and valid that 1) something wasn't met during childhood, and 2) there is space for acceptance, forgiveness, and unconditional love. 

@Gillian Sanger@Sarah Yes, I resonate with this very much.  Our parents did not have it very easy.  Mine tried to move around and my dad ran his families business.  We never had any money.   My mom always wondered where it went.  Dad's brother helping with the family business was taking all the money.  But my folks did not see it until the brothers wife; she was in a wreck and the IRS came for him.  Not having anything to start with.  Nothing at the time and losing the business really took a toll on my dad.  

He was in the Vietnam War and came back a bitter angry man.  He could not get help from the Vets Assoc. until we were already grown.  It made a very big impact on their lives.  At my dad's death bed he talked of his guys in the troops.  Mom having us 5 kids and wanting to give us everything.  They did not go out for anything.  I remember a Rootbeer float once in awhile.  

They would have tears in their eyes and apologize in later years that we grew up like we did.  As if they could have changed it.  No they could not.  Early on I expressed that they did what they knew to do.  My eldest sister didn't see it that way.  She had a whole different take on the growing up.     Sorry I get windy writing.  I do love to write.  Yes we must FORGIVE them for acting childish ourselves thinking we deserved better.  I didn't deserve better.  There was worse going on.     Counting my blessings.  Nameste

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recent Posts

• For me, Mindfulness is the state.. the intentional awareness of what is present, with equanimity.  Meditation is setting aside time to practice this. 
    • @Paige PIlege How sweet she is! I have two myself and they are so precious 🙂 
    • @Jess MarieSnakes are not my favorite but anything small with lots of legs that move fast scare me.  Like cockroaches, spiders etc.  Just watching the little legs moving all over is so nasty to watch.  I grab whatever is around and smash, smash, etc.   No mercy there.  Sorry little things.  I get scared.   My dreams are scary also, even today. I am surprised I am still afraid of things. 
    • @Gillian SangerIt always is great to "know" that spring will come.  That seasonal "knowing" . a consistency.   A pattern, or habit of Mother Nature.  This helps settle my inner self to believe in things.  I "know" spring will come and the colorful world will burst out.  The buds on the trees and bushes.  White and red, berries etc.  Even the weeds turn a great color and try to exist inside everything else.   Today I walked outside to gather all the puppy toys.  I got her a bunch of beanie toys she loves.  Her mouth is small so she just tries to find a squeaky in it.  It is funny to watch her biting it.  She will run outside with it and toss it in the air and catch it to toss again.  Running in circles.  Run as fast as possible around things outside.  Or a big circle.  She is a Peek-a-Pom.    The ground was wet from rain.  So were the toys but she doesn't care.  she still wanted them.  The air smelled so "good".  Someone must have cut their grass because it smelled almost like fresh alfalfa being cut.  A sweet smell.  Takes me back to my childhood riding on a raker.  I am excited for spring, in about a month now.     Here is Teddy. She is a clown.
    • Boundaries can be difficult.  Learning to uphold my own was very hard to learn.  I always gave, helped, shared and never new about them.  After a few things happened that were not planned, then it became much more apparent.  Growing up our parents help us determine how close people come to us and sometimes what we communicate about and see.   Keeping it short.  I teach now that a boundary helps us know what we can expect to control.  Without being overwhelmed by "everything".  It is much easier to understand a smaller space and not the whole world.  I teach to concentrate on how wide our arms reach.  If we can control what is within this boundary, our self in the middle, then try to go outside this boundary.   For me being empathic I have to stay home to set boundaries.  People have a tendency to come to me and discuss their life issues and want help, find a path to resolution.  Or I feel obligated to help them so I set the boundary.  It is very painful if I do not and want to help the world.  I am trying to control and help myself first.   I do not expect people I do not know to be within my arms length.  Only close loved ones, dear friends.  People I know.      Other boundaries are health, politics and religion.  I limit all these things and rarely bring them up.  I usually don't have to because there are always those who feel the need to.  I feel these are personal items.  I have my opinion on it, but rather than get tangled up and stressed out it is not worth wasting my energy.  AND joining all the organizations that help the planet, animals, and other needy causes.  I understand that they have to be done, but other people are much better able to than I am.  I have no problem admitting that.  Due to my live and events it does not work.  I want to but, no.   I still battle this control of within my arms.  This creates a responsibility.  Sometimes I lack in this area.  
  • Recent Topics

• Popular Contributors

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.