Gillian Sanger

Teaching in Business/Corporate Settings

Who amongst us teaches (or has taught in the past) to corporate or business professionals?

What were your sessions like? What techniques or practices did you explore?

Alternatively, if you have not yet taught in one of these settings but hope to, post any questions or curiosities you might have and hopefully we can support one another in learning and expanding our skill set.

• Like 1

I have taught in business settings.  Usually to people with high pressure jobs and a lot on their plate.  I have focused on teaching them that Mindful singletasking is actually much more efficient than "multitasking" which is really just task switching.  I also put a lot of emphasis on making sure that all of the Doing that has to happen throughout the day is Mindfully rooted in Being.

• Like 3

I've never heard the term 'singletasking' - that's a great one! I think a lot of us could use the reminder to focus on a single task at a time.

What's the set-up of your teachings typically? Are they 'lunch and learns' (hour long intensives) or longer half/full-day workshops? 

Most have been 4 weeks long and ~2-3 hours per session.  I start with an introduction to Mindfulness workshop, then do one on stress and anxiety, one on Loving-Kindness and Gratitude and close it out with one that ties it all together and is designed to help each participant establish a regular practice designed specifically for them.

Interesting fact--when we attempt to "multitask" our average IQ temporarily drops by 10 points.  In comparison, someone under the influence of pot only experiences a drop of 5 points.  So when we try to do too many things at once, we are literally less efficient than someone high.  

• Like 3

Interesting finding @Steve! Thank you for sharing 🙂

And that's great that you are able to offer multiple sessions for businesses. For those completely new to mindfulness, it would be very helpful to have more than just a single workshop.

Hello All

i am so pleased I opened up this email from Sean an find some beautiful offerings, thank you Sean and Gillian for all your efforts, I shall try and be a little more active in the community, I am pleased to connect with you all.🙂

I am currently offering Mindfulness sessions in a corporate environment.  I have experimented with a mixture of lengths o sessions and times of day.  I have settled on 4 days a week 3 x 30 min sessions and ! x hour

At the beginning I offered hour long sessions and gave a talk on one aspect of mindfulness and followed this with a meditation of about half an hour, I leave time for Q & A but found people quite shy initially in a corporate environment, very different from running in person 8 week courses.  ALso some people found an hour too long to take in the middle of the working day.

I mostly offer a guided body scan peppered with Metta or self- compassion as it feels appropriate at the moment - sometimes counting and breathe watching.  Its wonderful to watch the stress leave their faces and as they understand the sense of calm that arises.

As a mindfulness compassion coach i also teach execs meditation techniques one on one with an emphasis on self-compassion and exploration.

• Like 2

Hello @Mel P! Thank you for jumping in and sharing with us here.

How has the pandemic affected your work? Are you holding sessions online?

And I agree that Metta is so very important right now. Always of course, but right now especially.  There's a thread for loving-kindness phrases in fact if you're interested in sharing your words or seeing what other people use.

Hi everyone!

I've been offering mindfulness meditations since the summer of 2016 at the company I work for.  I do a 1/2 hour session on Mondays at noon.  I've also offered a 30 day mindfulness & meditation challenge and am in the middle of another one on FB in a private group.

I've done workshops as well - an introductory course on the benefits of meditation and mindfulness.

• Like 2

I have never taught corporate but it seems like a very viable client.  @MriduYou make it sound so simple.  Wonderful for you.  Thank you so much.  

4 hours ago, Mridu said:

Hi everyone!

I've been offering mindfulness meditations since the summer of 2016 at the company I work for.  I do a 1/2 hour session on Mondays at noon.  I've also offered a 30 day mindfulness & meditation challenge and am in the middle of another one on FB in a private group.

I've done workshops as well - an introductory course on the benefits of meditation and mindfulness.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It really is @Paige!  I'm pretty shy so I'm still not that comfortable with it, but the more you do it the more it gets comfortable 🙂  I think it helped that I started by offering it at the company I work for.

Edited by Mridu
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2020 at 6:22 PM, Mridu said:

It really is @Paige!  I'm pretty shy so I'm still not that comfortable with it, but the more you do it the more it gets comfortable 🙂  I think it helped that I started by offering it at the company I work for.

I have just started to teach from home.  I have a couple students.  One is 70 and I teach them sit, stand, move.  We meditate for 5 minutes on breath only and then 10 minutes of movement and standing.  This is various 5 Element stances and Qigong movement 5 minutes.  Then end at 5 minutes of no thought except "what may be next".  Teaching the art of conscious living.  Mindful living. I see this is a bit different than how just a mindfulness workshop would be.  would this be usable in a corporate setting?  I am thankful for everyone's input. 

Edited by Paige PIlege
  • Like 1

@Paige PIlege - Do you have any recommended resources (books, documentaries, websites) where one could learn more about the 5 elements? It seems you know quite a lot about these energies/themes.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 4:08 AM, Gillian Sanger said:

That is great that you've been able to start out in an environment you are familiar with @Mridu. Congrats on moving through the initial discomfort! 🙂

Thanks @Gillian Sanger!  Trying to move past that and my shyness, and doing more helps to do that 🙂

21 hours ago, Paige PIlege said:

I have just started to teach from home.  I have a couple students.  One is 70 and I teach them sit, stand, move.  We meditate for 5 minutes on breath only and then 10 minutes of movement and standing.  This is various 5 Element stances and Qigong movement 5 minutes.  Then end at 5 minutes of no thought except "what may be next".  Teaching the art of conscious living.  Mindful living. I see this is a bit different than how just a mindfulness workshop would be.  would this be usable in a corporate setting?  I am thankful for everyone's input. 

I'd love to hear more about that @Paige PIlege

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mridu said:

Thanks @Gillian Sanger!  Trying to move past that and my shyness, and doing more helps to do that 🙂

I'd love to hear more about that @Paige PIlege

@Mridu  I have always been a fitness person.  Always running or biking, walking.  Had my family grown up and left my husband after 32 years.  There was nothing left when the kids left home.  Throughout raising the boys I was always doing something, walking, biking, teaching soccer, etc.  The 30 years I accumulated many books on Astrology, Tarot, Intuition, Energy Medicine, The Conscious Mind, etc. Reading about The Art of Happiness from the Dalai Lama.  And happiness with human behavior always fascinated me.  Having an autistic son that is Asperger's, high functioning brought much of this out of me.   The divorce was the final straw that broke the camels back.  It was so dreadful that he used us so bad, I was very deep in despair.  I hyperventilated from crying so much I felt myself pass out.  "a voice told me I could not leave the world yet, there are many people that want to hear what I have to say" I woke up excited to be alive and figure out what message I had. 

I searched over the years for a way to learn martial arts or something that I could teach since becoming disabled.  Beginning in the recovery area helped me so much to build my strength, stamina and energy.  I decided to teach it.  Training online took discipline and many hours of practice.  

In Chinese Medicine we teach Taoist, Buddhist way of life.  The body is a bowl of rice being prepared.  We must let the steam rise and it has to be eliminated.  The physical aspects are so interesting.  Press here and the liver works better.  Press there and the kidneys will be massaged/bladder.  During Winter is the best time to work with the kidneys and bladder because we sit and lay more.  The ending of a calender year, 365 days of a life needs to be cleansed.  Sorrow and grief need to be processed as with all emotions that cause turbidity as in a shaken snow globe.  

Energy vibrations are so fascinating also.  To think how the movements of the universe, the planets and moons and sun that never stop are always moving and that is energy.  This in addition to the force pull it takes to move them.  That spark, Wayne Dyer speaks of that is in each of us begins there.  Sorry getting carried away. 

Chinese Medicine is 5000 years old.  This has always been done and continues to be done.  My Grand Master Teacher live a monastic life from 16 to 22.  Then was told to go West now and teach it in a way they understand.  I love hearing his stories.  He is creating a way for us to learn and understand the lessons in the Western language the best that can be.  Never done before. 

The secrets that were kept from people for so long is now out of the bag and only taught by lineage and certified teachers.   I have learned what movements will benefit you the best in what season to match the organ and the body aspects and life aspects that each season entails.  This is taught in a class.  

You can look it all up. Or learn from a "good" teacher.    ME.  lol. 

I teach sit, stand, move.  It is the best way to set the mindfulness in motion, keep the chi (energy) moving throughout the body systems.  Being able to move the blood from the top to the bottom of the body takes movement.  If not we all would lose our legs all together.  

Learning to breathe, to be mindful and conscious in every second of the day is where we need to be.  Getting caught up in the mundane living creates stagnant energy, and then turbidity as drama and life happens.  It happens to us then and blocks any type of healing that needs to be processed. 

Humans bodies are meant to work/function regularly, clearing, cleansing, strengthening, breathing, all the time.  Sleeping in order for our cells to regenerate.  One Qigong is done 7 years, the body will have done a total transformation to the memory of movement.  

In 3 days every cell in our body is replaced.  It is important then to keep the systems moving and working the best possible.  We are all actually liquid steam with blood moving around space.  Our eyes can only see very minimal.  The people with much better sight see the steam in colors.  Imagine, walking around seeing only steam entities of color moving around connected by blurring together or small streamers going back and forth. Quantum Physics, Awesome.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  lol.  If you have questions feel free to ask any.  Love to share.  

I hope I didn't lose anyone or overwrite.  I do love to write.