Gillian Sanger

Gratitude During Tough Times

Hi community,

Given the difficult times that many of us are experiencing (and that we are all, to one degree or another, influenced by), I'd like to invite us to share something (or numerous things) we are grateful for right now. Despite the challenges we're faced with, what blessings and gifts can we acknowledge?

For myself, I am in this moment very thankful for the opportunity to slow down, to stop, and to reflect. Though much of my day-to-day life is carrying on as normal (I don't have a large social life and I work from home) and I'm feeling relatively at ease given the times, I've noticed I've become more mindfully connected to my inner world in recent days. I've been reflecting a lot on what brings me joy, what I want to offer the world, and what kind of world I want to help create now and when this is over. Energetically it feels as though my inner 'reset' button has been switched.

I'm also thankful for the things that can easily be taken for granted - the safety and shelter of my home, the food that is accessible to me, my partner, my dogs, and the technologies that enable me to talk with my loved ones across the ocean.

• Like 2

Hey Gillian, I really appreciate what you have shared here. I too am thankful for the opportunity I have now to slow down, and breathe, reflect, and become aware of where I am in this moment. I remember a teacher of mine who was showing walking meditation sharing that the practice of walking meditation reminds us of the miracle of balance. Our bodies know what to do and we just do it. Each step then becomes an appreciation for our bodies and a reminder that our health is something to appreciate and nurture. The absence of close connection with some friends right now is a reminder of how much I value and enjoy their presence (in person.) 🙂  Today I did my Mindful Movement Class through Zoom and someone showed up who had not been in class for a couple months. She had delivered her third child and was home taking care of her precious newborn. She was able to attend online today only because her husband( a doctor) has a few days off, so he is watching the children and she can attend Mindful Movement. We all were so happy to see her. She would not have been able to attend online if the current situation was not in place. We all were just cheering in happiness to see her again. 

• Like 3

Great idea for a topic. I am grateful for the time at home with my husband. I am grateful for the classes I am taking online, including the Path of Freedom and the Community Engaged Mindfulness. I am grateful for zoom, which allows me to keep up a group meditation and yoga practice. I am grateful for my sister-in-law Ashley and all the other nurses and medical workers who are so brave, and the other essential workers who are keeping society going. I am grateful for friends and family who keep in touch. I am grateful for the sun rising every day- one thing that is certain in these uncertain times. I am grateful for books, without which I think I would lose my mind. I am grateful for creative people like Gillian who started the poetry club. I am grateful to be in recovery from anorexia. I am grateful my sister, who is an active alcoholic, is alive today. I am grateful that I can breathe without even trying to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am also grateful for the opportunity to not have as many distractions of the buzzing around of everyone.  The environment feels so relaxed.  I have never felt this before unless out in the country.  I live in Omaha, NE.  Very buzzing city when going.  We still have the nasties--shootings, etc.  But much slowed down. 

I am very sensitive to the environment and people and things around me.  Sometimes something doesn't look right I have to move it.  I am grateful to be able to participate in this Mindfulness community.  I have been looking for something to push me to fit in, to a career.  This is it.  I wish to help with it in the school systems and families.  I never had a format to follow.  This is so helpful in that regard. 

I am grateful to have a working spouse, and no income or responsibility change with the event of the world.  It is just another day for me.  

I am grateful for my journey and what has brought me here.  All the lessons and being able to move forward to hopefully never have to do it again.  Next lifetime.   I am grateful to have my mom with me yet and so many wonderful people around me and with me that are sensitive and caring.  

I never understood what support was, what coping was or actual love.  I am thankful for my journey that has taught me these things.  I say to my spouse every night how grateful I am to be here, right here with him.  With the world at this time.  This moment. 

Blessings to all, 

Paige 

• Like 2

I am immensely grateful to have a partner who is incredibly patient and present with me when I am experiencing strong emotions - someone who doesn't just say what I want to here to make a negative feeling go away but who will help me to look at and feel into the raw pain and underlying conditioning/limiting belief systems that cause uncomfortable feelings to arise.

• Like 2

I am grateful to have such wonderful friends that support each other.  There is a sense of togetherness by just communicating back and forth as we can.  For me it is the same as speaking to each other.  I journaled for over 30 years once I graduated.  Most was emotional ranting.  Some deductions and solutions.  Writings and poems, stories.  Mostly the wonder of life and different ways people see it.  Perspectives that are so different, some never seen.  I know I have opened some eyes in College and anywhere I post.  Because seeing all perspectives is a plus, although it can be a nuisance.  Not like I have to have all the answers.  Just all the possible answers.  Now just being comfortable with making a decision the best possible for the time is good enough.  Yes it is enough.  So grateful to have a knowing and an outward welcoming essence, some would say.  Thank you everyone here.  I truly am grateful for each and everyone in this group.  Mindfulness Exercises. 

• Like 2

HI community,

the great thing about "grateful" is, that it is more about BEING than really DOING. Amidst all, I feel grateful about so many things, and in the moment of becoming mindfully aware of that sensation I realize its really an embodied experience. And that is very powerful. thank you

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

HI community,

the great thing about "grateful" is, that it is more about BEING than really DOING. Amidst all, I feel grateful about so many things, and in the moment of becoming mindfully aware of that sensation I realize its really an embodied experience. And that is very powerful. thank you

Thank you for your excellent comment. There are few things as powerful as an embodied experience. We are human BEings, not human DOings.

• Like 2

Hello everyone, I am so grateful for all of you.  I am grateful for all my friends and family that are always in touch with me on Facebook.  I would love to find a different platform for that.  Right now it will do.  I am grateful for the technology to be able to take a step backward. So to speak.  By social distancing and making it safer with less.  A step in the right direction.  We have our new Movie Drive-in Theaters open.  How cool it was 38 years ago today that i went to the last movie theater.   Who would have known.  I am very grateful.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Paige PIlege said:

Hello everyone, I am so grateful for all of you.  I am grateful for all my friends and family that are always in touch with me on Facebook.  I would love to find a different platform for that.  Right now it will do.  I am grateful for the technology to be able to take a step backward. So to speak.  By social distancing and making it safer with less.  A step in the right direction.  We have our new Movie Drive-in Theaters open.  How cool it was 38 years ago today that i went to the last movie theater.   Who would have known.  I am very grateful.  

That's a lovely sentiment Paige. There is some beauty in having to do with less. I realized how long it's been since I've driven when I decided to run to Target and my 2016 Forester wouldn't start! Saving on gas and helping the environment! And how cool to go to a drive-in theater. I'm gonna have to check that out. Have a wonderful day! 

• Like 1