Gillian Sanger

Returning to clarity when anxiety arises

I know I've mentioned it before but I don't think I've done so in this thread. So, I wanted to mention Tara Brach's RAIN meditation as a way of helping to witness and nurture difficult emotions such as anxiety (especially now given the uncertainty of the times). Has anyone listened to this before or to another version of this type of meditation?

https://mindfulnessexercises.com/downloads/rain-of-compassion/

Hi, Yes! RAIN is a wonderful resource, especially for the current times. Another meditation that I like, which is in a similar vein, is called "Soften, Soothe, and Allow" by Kristin Neff,  based on turning towards difficult emotions with in a kind, gentle, compassionate way.  It's a great place to start getting a feel for self compassion and cultivating it, and I've found it really helpful in times of overwhelming emotional emergencies - I'm sure everyone knows a little something about those :)

https://self-compassion.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/softensootheallow_cleaned.mp3

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bombabird said:

Hi, Yes! RAIN is a wonderful resource, especially for the current times. Another meditation that I like, which is in a similar vein, is called "Soften, Soothe, and Allow" by Kristin Neff,  based on turning towards difficult emotions with in a kind, gentle, compassionate way.  It's a great place to start getting a feel for self compassion and cultivating it, and I've found it really helpful in times of overwhelming emotional emergencies - I'm sure everyone knows a little something about those 🙂

https://self-compassion.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/softensootheallow_cleaned.mp3

Oh thank you for the recommendation! I will certainly listen to it over the coming days.

On 9/30/2019 at 2:18 AM, Gillian Sanger said:

A lot of mindfulness-related notions and principles make a lot of sense when we're feeling balanced and, at minimum, 'okay.' But, it can be so hard to embody this knowing when anxiety or fear arises strongly. Does anyone have insights or specific practices that have proven helpful in these instances?

I'm often amazed at how simple breath awareness - even for 10 seconds!! - can greatly reduce any feelings of stress and anxiety when it's risen. However, it's sometimes difficult to even remember this simple trick!

Hi Gillian,

I have been working with Tarah Brach's RAIN technique. 

• Recognize what is happening See it more deeply. 
  • Allow and Accept. 
  • Investigate your inner experience. 
  • Non-identification. 

I found a helpful definition of RAIN here: 

https://www.mindfulnessnorthwest.com/about-practice/8092482>

Yesterday, I was experiencing anger at something someone said that triggered a strong reaction and I was able to stay with the emotions I was experiencing by recognizing what was happening and allowing the experience. I was surprised that I was able to move to investigating the experience. I found that I was feeling a embarrassment and shame. Following this experience, I felt more balanced. 

I can't say that I am always successful at doing this. It is always a work in progress.

Regards,

Gene

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gene Williams said:

It is always a work in progress.

Absolutely! We are all learning - each moment is an opportunity to dive deeper into our habitual thought patterns and reactions. Thank you for sharing this 🙂 I love this acronym. 

• Like 1

Hello to all in this thread and to those joining in! It's been a while since I've heard from some of you here. Are you well during these times? 

I just wanted to share a new blog post I've just seen is up on Mindfulness Exercises. It's related to anxiety so I thought it would be fitting to share here:

https://mindfulnessexercises.com/8-facts-about-anxiety-and-their-mindful-solutions/