Paige PIlege

How do you handle the political climate?

• Administrators

@Paige PIlege - I don't think we can ever know what really goes on - there are so many complexities and mysteries to life. And of course, when it comes to politics and geopolitical relations, there are so many energies. conversations, and deals occurring that we don't know. Even if all information, deals, and conversations were somehow in the public sphere, it would be far too much information for any single person to wrap their heads around.

Besides, getting to know the inner world is a feat on its own sometimes 😁

• Like 1
On 1/16/2020 at 2:15 AM, Paige PIlege said:

Our focus should be on the inner peace.  Environmental peace is difficult to control.

I'm not a Zen Buddhist but I always appreciated the political and spiritual engagement of many Zen Buddhists like Thich Nhat Hanh. I feel like dealing with inner peace and actively participating in political and social life and standing up to injustice is not exclusive - it's actually one and the same thing. I think if we look at the noble eight-fold path, it includes right action, and that's not just "inner" action. Unless our morality translates into our lives and if we don't stand up for what's right then we aren't really living our values and I then see them as pretty devoid of meaning. At least that's how I see it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrators

@Vladimir - Very well written. It's quite interesting you say this. Last night I participated in a Rupert Spira webinar and one of the participants had said something about how he worried that if he moved deeper into embracing the truth of our oneness, he'd end up not taking action in the outer world (paraphrasing, but something along those lines). Rupert's response was perfect. He basically highlighted that actually there's no difference between the two, and that when we recognize our oneness, our yearning to care for the environment deepens. Of course everyone has different ways of expressing this care (whether that's focusing on small projects in their community, taking a stand at political rallies, or something else). In the end though, I very much agree that the inner and outer work can exist in harmony.

• Like 2

@gilibaus

And yes, I think that's a very nice way of putting it - realizing our oneness is exactly the reason to act! (And not just on Twitter.) Taking away peoples' rights is then taking away my rights too if we are all fundamentally one. Keeping children in cages is keeping me in a cage. So standing up is the only right thing to do. I don't think everyone can or should be forced to act in the same way, but I feel like it's our moral obligation to stand up for what's right in the way we can. I firmly believe that being silent in the face of evil is a kind of approval. There are things that are more important than our own comfort. For me, that directly follows from lovingkindness and compassion practices. "May you be well" isn't supposed to be an empty phrase.

• Like 2

I enjoyed reading this conversation!  I’m not what I would consider “political” by most standards, but I have a deep concern for my little corner of the world!  (And I have come to believe, that’s enough!)  Sharing these beautiful thoughts from Ganga White. 💗🙏🏻☺️

6C201A66-6E92-46D3-AC8F-C00D9966AAE5.jpeg

• Like 2

I work with people like me.  Being a very strong empathy and leaning towards not participating because of the way it hurts us is only trying to care for the self.  I do realize that there are people in this world made to do certain things and it is not my duty and some others to not let it control us.  An empathy cannot control the negativity that surrounds political environments, unfortunately.  I do not say abandon it completely.   But a lot of the bickering and nonsense goes a long way.  

It would be nice to actually know what each candidate was for and make it all done on paper.  Nice and quiet.  Freedom is freedom and we do have to support that.  Trying to be nonjudgmental it is good to say, if is a bothersome detail that does not sit well, do not go through it.  Leave that subject out of your responsibilities.  Depression and human emotions can be very treacherous when responsibility arises in areas that there are plenty of people.  

So Yes I listen to some of it.  But if my husband gets into it. I shut it down quickly because there is no resonance there.  Just be careful and make sure you are prepared for such talks with a quiet mind.  Others unfortunately do not prepare.   

Great posts, thank you.  

11 hours ago, Paige PIlege said:

But a lot of the bickering and nonsense goes a long way.  

I feel like political talks often end up being pointless, because very rarely do we genuinely connect with people, consider their arguments or question ours. It's just a matter of waiting for them to stop speaking so that we can deliver our talking points. I am as guilty of that as anyone. 🙂

What comes to my mind when I think about politics, aside from speaking with my votes, is to simply live my ethics. To speak up and stand up to injustice and to positively contribute. For example, I've taught mindfulness for free to people who are not able to afford it and who either come from vulnerable groups (immigrants, refugees, LGBTQ+, etc.), I volunteered as a physician back in Europe when the migrant crisis began, etc. I'll donate stuff, money, etc. To me that's also politics. And it's practical and it's effective because it actually helps someone.

I am very weary of "politics" on social media and YouTube comments. I just don't think it's constructive and somehow it feels like its main purpose is for those who retweet or dislike or whatever they do to feel good about themselves, whereas net suffering of humans is pretty much the same and no one's mind has been changed.

• Like 2

I feel that even though we now have thousands of ways to connect with people, I consider it still a party line.  People getting into other people's business.  Sometimes it is best to first take care of our own business.  Some people are so wrapped up in ego, being right all the time and on top that they never see what else is there.  Causing thousands of good, beautiful people to turn ugly and stressed completely.  I remember those party lines in the early 80s.  We had like 5 houses on a line and you had to take turns and hang up if someone else had the phone.  Or annoy them enough to hang up and let you use it.  

Twitter, Instagram, chat rooms,  especially in games.  Why are they chatting during a game??  Strategy? If a person plays excessive amount of games on a machine or computer they are not in touch with themselves.  It feels like to me.    I think a few less of these type of chats would not hurt anything at all.  Even posting photos, people chat with others.   Crazy business.  Not personal business and not business business; not sure what I would call it in terms of personal growth.  Communication to be sure, beneficial?

• Administrators
On 1/25/2020 at 9:06 PM, Vladimir said:

I feel like political talks often end up being pointless, because very rarely do we genuinely connect with people, consider their arguments or question ours. It's just a matter of waiting for them to stop speaking so that we can deliver our talking points. I am as guilty of that as anyone. 🙂

I completely resonate!! I wrote an article about this a while ago. Humans really seem to struggle with finding common ground. Somehow, we need to find a way to communicate more compassionately with one another - and to acknowledge the humanity in all of us, politics aside.

• Like 1