Gillian Sanger

What's your biggest lesson from 2019?

My biggest insight is that things happen all the time.  Choosing to look at a situation from all sides, ins and outs makes a big difference.  I found that I have been setting my sights on too big a project.  Or the wrong project.  

I feel since I broke my foot in April last year.  April fools day.  It must be a sign.  AND for the 3rd time.  This time everything broke in the foot and ankle.  AND I wasn't skiing or running and jumping. merely walking.  With no physical reason for it to happen, I am in the right place.  

Mindfulness has a lot to do with not getting distracted even for that moment when something happens.  I realize I DO need to meditate and get my life on track and in an order.  Not just getting up and letting the day exist, waiting for something to happen.  But, putting effort into doing something of value.  

I have never been one to just sit all day.  For me the harder I worked the faster the day went.  The closer to my goal of the day or challenge finished I set each day, the more freeing I felt and accomplished.  So the sitting literally in bed for 3 months and now trying to get back to something normal is challenging.  I never give up on a challenge.  

Last year was the first year I have felt in total control of my journey, my purpose clarity, and what not to do.  

• Like 1

My biggest lesson from 2019 was to really embrace the newness of each moment and dwell on the past moments less. 2019 was a very full year and so many challenges came and went. The important part of it all for me was learning how to release things that no longer served me, even BIG things. Afterward, I came to recognize that the big things were blocking my clarity and vision. 

As of this week, based on the newness of my current life responsibilities and the need for the changes, I've just started (As of today), to take an hourly break to breathe and let go and remain open. It feels wonderful.

As I grow in my own mindfulness practice, it challenges me to do less and practice more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
16 hours ago, RBloomz said:

The important part of it all for me was learning how to release things that no longer served me, even BIG things. Afterward, I came to recognize that the big things were blocking my clarity and vision. 

I feel as this alludes to that beautiful, and often bittersweet, shift that occurs when we finally fall into acceptance of having to let something go - and as we begin to see it all with much greater clarity. I think this is such a powerful turning point of the inner world and psyche.

Thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gillian Sanger said:

I feel as this alludes to that beautiful, and often bittersweet, shift that occurs when we finally fall into acceptance of having to let something go - and as we begin to see it all with much greater clarity. I think this is such a powerful turning point of the inner world and psyche.

Thank you for sharing!

"Bittersweet" for sure. The first release was the most difficult, because it was a job I took and thought was my "dream job." I was so puzzled as to why it could not work for me and came to realized that I was out of alignment with my values. The remaining "BIG" releases came in gentle timing and I was quite willing and ready, even anticipating the Goodness that would flow from those releases. Letting go of the toughest one first worked for me, I felt myself in so much suffering and recognized I was choosing to suffer because I was not willing to let go. When I did, the breath of freedom that ensued was immediate; the grief quite palpable - I could feel them simultaneously and it was okay. I was amazed to notice every step and not bypass any of it. I credit that to my mindfulness practices. They supported me through major transitions and allowed me to peacefully experience letting it all go and allow each moment to be what it is. Focusing on the life and freedom in those moments. I am still moving slowly into 2020. Listening deeper. Allowing myself to be organically transformed by the things I love most (mindfulness practices, yoga, and conscious community). Financially, I am finding ways to use my resources creatively and feel Life supporting me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

@RBloomz - thank you for sharing all of this! What a beautiful written expression of what's moved through you.

Your experience with the 'dream job' that turned out not to be the dream job: I think that's quite common, and yet I don't know how many people face the often painful truth when it whispers. We often chase things because we 'think' we will enjoy them, and yet they don't always fulfill us on a deeper level. That's wonderful that you were able to listen and to follow your heart, despite what the mind may have wanted you to believe.

I think that's a perfect example of when it's time to leave a job. I started a conversation on this topic - when to leave a workplace vs. when to change our attitude towards it - because it's often hard to differentiate between the two. But when we tune into the heart, the answer is there (whether we're ready to hear it or not).

• Like 1

Wow! Thank you for sharing Ro, powerful post......

Ro’s post is one I can so relate with. 2019 was a year like no other in this journey of life. The biggest take away from the many changes I encountered this past year , was finally listening to my heart. I had three jobs in this past year all of watch got worse as I looked for something in the same field each time , but with a different company. They all have ended up not aligning with who I have become over the last several years. I was playing safe, the universe was prompting me other wise, giving me gentle nudges and then the grand slam, the situation that finally listen and really be mindful of what I was doing to my health and my life.  My mindfulness practice, listening to the inner voice of “if it is not an absolute the yes! “ before  you start it then don’t do it has changed my life.  

‘Nothing ever goes away until it has taught us what we need to know”

Pema Chodron

• Like 1