Gillian Sanger

What are your top values and how have these changed over time?

This week's question invites us to inquire:

What are your top values and how have these changed over time?

Our fundamental values often stay the same or grow stronger. However, sometimes our values change entirely. How has it been for you?

I personally value much simpler, more intangible things than I used to in my high school and University days. Once upon a time, I valued brand names and the appearance of things, only to realize that my heart yearned for something much deeper. I think the deeper yearnings and values were always there, but they were masked beneath the superficial yearnings of the culture and society I grew up in. Some of my top values now are nature, simplicity, family and my partner, animals, peace, wisdom, and so on and so on.

• Like 2

This is a great topic Gillian, Mine has changed over time.  I feel that through experiences is when reality leads to awareness for me.  Once I am aware of the world and how it works I change to how I want to view and live it.  I have never hung around lies, cheaters, or manipulators.  This is because I have always been a loving kindness person but without coping skills, hense, lessons learned.  

I experience a change in spirituality perceptions; and needs and wants mindset.

I now value intangible peace and harmony.  I value mutual respect.  Caring and concern.  Equality and comfort.  The necessities of safety, shelter, food and clothing.  I value friends, teachers, guides, community.  These days gratefulness and loving kindness passion covers my values.   

• Like 2

Thank you for this great question and encouragement to get involved in conversation. My values have changed over time. In the past, I valued things that were tangible - higher education and things that went along with that. My past values brought me great rewards in some ways and not my preferred outcomes in others. Those life lessons I now consider interest back to me, once learned. 

My values right now are focused completely on the quality of my life, self-care, family, nature, love and kindness, community, and healthy boundaries. 💗

• Like 2

17 hours ago, RBloomz said:

My values right now are focused completely on the quality of my life, self-care, family, nature, love and kindness, community, and healthy boundaries. 💗

These all sound so very down-to-earth, warm, and peaceful 😊

Yes...self care, definitely family and love and kindness  ...  healthful living for myself, family and my Clientelle.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Recent Posts

• As I was watching the Video RE: The 7 Attitudes of Mindfulness with Jon Kabat Zinn & when he spoke of the Letting Go attitude, I was reminded of the Serenity Prayer from a Religious perspective: God, Grant me the Serenity to Accept the things I cannot change, Courage to to change the things I can, and the Wisdom to know the difference. ( Dr. Reinhold Niebuhr). I am usually reminded, those "things" I can change 99.9% of the time, is my attitude! The "Wisdom" for me was usually failings from wanting that Control! Hence, the magic has been knowing the difference between Controlling a situation, yet, however, Managing a situation. (Sidebar, Gillian---the re-editing the Italics worked today).
    • I am very grateful for a friend who has taught me so much about acceptance and contentment.  She and her family lived in a very small house with a tiny kitchen without even room for the refrigerator that sat on a landing to the basement.  Every meal and every day were made to feel welcome with her homemade muffins, a special adornment for the table,  appreciations  for the small things in life.  She marked each change of season with special decor - the emphasis was not on the smallness of the house but the warmth and attention to detail.  She has been caring for her husband for the past ten years - he is now close to transitioning and she never complains about the care and time she provides and he also, has never complained about his condition. He is grateful to her for his care and she is grateful to him for his amazing fortitude in spite of the challenge of his illness.   Her friendship has been a true gift and I am so grateful to be her friend.
    • am doing my day 7 What I noticed from this week's practice was? Am having gratitude in my doing in my life and having great relationships around me. I have a person that I really love  and getting married to. I'm grateful to be myself what am doing things that I love to do by being busy. I wont judge myself and others and I will try to help out whenever I can. Things that will help me stay  focused on my practice next week are? writing and keep a journal and detailed their gratitude in a happy way. practice  gratefulness and sense of respect toward others. practice greater interconnections.
    • It is wonderful to have you in the community @ockert! I am happy to see your updates about the 100 Day Challenge 🙂 I'll start off by answering some of the questions: I joined this community right as it began, coming on as the community moderator. When Sean mentioned that he was planning this community, it seemed quite aligned to something I had been feeling at the same time, which was this yearning for a community with which I could talk about mindfulness, spirituality, and all the things that fall under these umbrella terms.  Over the past year, my own personal practice has ebbed and flowed with each month. Sometimes I am more drawn to silent practice; at other times, I love guided meditations. Sometimes I prefer stillness; sometimes I long for mindful movement. Right now I find myself called to talks and mindful movement.  One piece of wisdom I would share with myself of one year ago... Hm... I think I would remind myself not to rush - to be wherever I am, however I am. And to tend to that self with patience, kindness, and compassion.
    • This would be the first of the tech issues here. You can send me a message with what you've noticed and I'll pass it on to tech support.
  • Recent Topics

• Popular Contributors

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.