Guest Emma36

Full Focus

Guest Emma36

Just focus. Just breathe. THIS is a major problem for me. I cannot stay on topic long enough to have a conversation. It is as if I fear I will forget if I don't say it.  I cannot slow down and stay focused long enough to make sense.  I even write down ideas as they come but my brain moves way too fast.  I don’t know how this happened but I know how to make it stop. This will take a lot of practice but If I slow down long enough to notice that I am here, I hope to find myself. 

Day 8: Focused Attention. I find when I am able to remember to really focus on a conversation or interaction with someone I somehow automatically feel grateful for them. I feel wonder at what they are saying, really interested in what is said and the emotions around what is not said. I become a WHOLE listener so my responses are more accurate and reflect my deep understanding of the other person. It really deepens the connection I have with others and I find other people seek me out when they just want to be heard. Focused attention is a beautiful gift to practice!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrators

Thank you for sharing this reflection @Alshattuck40. Focused attention is so very important - though it is so common for the mind to wander during conversations with others. The other week I was watching a playback of Oren Sofer's workshop in the Mindfulness Mastermind group and it inspired me to adopt the practice of checking in with the breath when in conversation with another. A couple of days later, I was in a conversation with someone and felt resistance rise within me to something they were saying. I remembered in that moment to come back to the breath for a few cycles, and in a matter of seconds felt myself opening up to them again. The breath really helped me to grant my whole, undivided attention.

• Like 1

First thank you very much for sharing such a personal thing,  Emma36.  I also was like that when I was younger.  I would even finish people's sentences.  Being psychic or intuitive lends to this I am not sure.  I would go to the doctor and make him give me something because my mind was going faster than my mouth could keep up with.  VERY nerve racking.  Sometimes spinning in circles trying to do too much. Literally.  Becoming depressed to the point of wanting help.  

Learning self hypnosis.  How to do tape recordings very slowly help with the word and mind association and of course meditation.  Over the years of learning different types of meditation I went of the medicine and learned how to observe, contemplate and then meditate on how to approach what it was I intended.  If I had know this 30 years ago the things I would have done.......hind sight.  

I am so grateful for the people I have met and where I am today.  You will get better at this and I even do breath training in  my practice.  Stick with it.  You are in a safe place. 

Alshattuck40   I totally agree.  Soon you will understand so much about people and be included in many things.  Once I slowed down things became more connected.   I am glad to hear to are on a wonderful journey. 

Gratefully connected, 

Paige 

• Like 1