Gillian Sanger

What does it mean to have a purpose?

The idea of having a 'purpose' has been coming up a lot lately. Is our purpose singular (as in one specific gift we have to share) or is it multi-faceted? I think for some people it manifests as something quite specific, but for many/most of us, purpose is much more complex and harder to articulate.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on purpose. Do you connect with this idea of having a purpose, and if so, what does that mean to you?

• Like 2

I agree that having a purpose is very important to me.How can I make a meaningful contribution to society? Whatever that I say or do I want to be honest kind & try my best effort.For me I don't have to do something impactful like write a book but when I do my work I'm really committed to doing my best.When I'm in conversation I listen to what the other person is saying with full concentration & non-judgement..I'm not thinking about what to say next but just being there to listen.For now my purpose is to be a good person with a kind & loving heart.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2019 at 1:35 PM, James Karrel said:

For now my purpose is to be a good person with a kind & loving heart.

Beautiful. I really like the 'for now' you've added to this, because I think our idea of purpose (or the way that we express our purpose) is ever-shifting as life grants us new abilities, gifts, insights, etc. Thank you for sharing!

I don't think I ever consciously chose a purpose, but I went to medical school and I became a therapist and then after that mindfulness teacher too. So when I look at all my choices together, I guess my purpose is to make peoples' lives a bit better. I don't expect myself to exactly change the world but I have changed individual lives and I find that incredibly meaningful and wouldn't trade it for anything.

• Like 1

I agree with Sean

My purpose is to make other people's lives better..I do volunteer work with seniors & I lead activities for a lgpqt community organization.

• Like 1

My purpose other than living an honest, safe, healthy life; became known to me at age 48.  I had a OBE.  I felt myself leave my body and was taken to a bright light.  So bright there were no beams. It was white and hurt to look at it.  In my mind a voice said, "no it is not your time yet, there are people who need to hear what you have to say" To this day I am trying to understand what it means.  When I was taken back to my body, I became excited and energized to move along to another life.  Literally moving away from my home for 40 years.  To an unknown town, people and community.   I realize that I just need to shine, smile, be myself in spirit and understanding for others to see how to live life to the fullest.  

It is what brought me here now.  Thank you for having me.  

• Like 1