Gillian Sanger

Favourite mindfulness quotes

• Administrators

I shared this as a gallery image, but I'm sharing it here as well to encourage discussion if anyone wants to comment on it. The quote, which I love very much, is this:

“We do not grow absolutely, chronologically. We grow sometimes in one dimension, and not in another; unevenly. We grow partially. We are relative. We are mature in one realm, childish in another. The past, present, and future mingle and pull us backward, forward, or fix us in the present. We are made up of layers, cells, constellations.”

Anaïs Nin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love this quote and how it fosters self acceptance.  I have recently gotten in to shadow work.  And I am over the dark side of the moon about it!  I am sure I have come across the concept before at some point in my journey, but is resonating with me now.  And I am enthralled with the idea, simplicity and brilliance of accepting all of ourselves for who we are, including the so called negative parts.  There is honestly no other choice, if we want to be whole.  Yet we spend so much of our lives denying and hiding who we don't want to be instead of embracing who we are.  I have just began to dive in to this vast ocean of shadows, but I already feel my self acceptance and self love over flowing!  It has also helped me to accept and appreciate others in my life for who they are and love them with all of their so called flaws rather than trying to change them.  Recognizing my own shadow in the reflection of others allows me to accept, embrace, and appreciate all of us for who we truly are. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2021 at 8:40 AM, Gillian Sanger said:

I shared this as a gallery image, but I'm sharing it here as well to encourage discussion if anyone wants to comment on it. The quote, which I love very much, is this:

“We do not grow absolutely, chronologically. We grow sometimes in one dimension, and not in another; unevenly. We grow partially. We are relative. We are mature in one realm, childish in another. The past, present, and future mingle and pull us backward, forward, or fix us in the present. We are made up of layers, cells, constellations.”

Anaïs Nin

What a beautiful quote. Let's celebrate that we all can allow ourselves to simply be human beings including all brightness and shadows as JillianZ mentioned in this thread. It is so funny as you mentioned (or Anais Nin said), we  don't grow absolutely chronologically, remembers me of a book I am reading (Karma by Sadhguru) that talks about the many dimensions of karma we have and accumulated during past lives and in our current one,  which gives every human being that individual unique touch, yes, made up of layers, cells and constellations, we cannot explain intellectually really. But I also experienced that mindfulness and mindfulness meditation can reveal this kind of mystery to some point with awareness and another level of consciousness.

• Like 2

I have mentioned in the past that I was a therapist for children and their parents. As such I kept abreast of the programming for children on television. Mr. Roger's neighborhood was one of those shows. I hope that other responders to Gillian's quote won't take offense if this former therapist says that when Mr. Rogers said " I like you just the way you are!" he spoke to the essence of the quote. He was saying that he loved, valued and affirmed the worth of every being in the context of all that made them up. Our task as adults is to do the same thing to and for ourselves. Continuing to unfurl the growth that keeps bursting forth if we permit it to do so.  Daniel A. Detwiler

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

It is a pleasure to read all of your responses to this quote, @JillianZ @jane508 and @Daniel A. Detwiler. As a writer, words are very important to me, so it's nice to be able to connect over an eloquently-strung set of letters, spaces, and punctuation points.

Jillian - on your note about shadow work, I thought I'd mention a book I am currently reading that has already had a huge impact on me (I'm on page 74). It's called The Undefended Self by Susan Thesenga. In it, she outlines the mask self, the lower self, and the higher self, and how we can unify these selves by fully accepting them (indeed easier said than done). There are recommended exercises (including mindfulness practice) and thoughtful journal prompts that really support deep inner work. Not for the faint of heart, but certainly a valuable resource for my own journey! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1