Gillian Sanger

Favourite mindfulness quotes

I'm a huge fan of mindfulness quotes. And I am fortunate enough to be the social media creator for a the yoga center where I teach, so I get to play with them a lot. 

You have both mentioned quite a few powerful ones above. ❤️ 

I have always loved "Wherever you go, there you are." Attributed to so many going back to Confucius. I'm not sure who it was originally by. 

"And forget not that earth delights to feel your feet, and the wind longs to play with your hair" - Kahlil Gibran.
My favorite as nature always helps my mindfulness practice. 

"If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete." - Buddha 

"Kindness thrives when shared." 

• Like 1

"Most reliable friend is within myself, that's compassion. And, anyway, cheap. Other, external means, sometimes quite expensive."

-Dalai Lamma

• Like 2

• Administrators

“Compassion is not a relationship between the healer and the wounded. It's a relationship between equals. Only when we know our own darkness well can we be present with the darkness of others. Compassion becomes real when we recognize our shared humanity.”

Pema Chödrön, The Places That Scare You: A Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times

• Like 1

• Administrators

Oh and one more by poet Mary Oliver:

"Attention is the beginning of devotion."

I am not sure if there are any other Mary Oliver fans in this community, but her work has been a great source of peace and inspiration for me. There is an article in The Atlantic that explores this quote in greater depth (and also looks at our society's profiteering on attention): https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/05/mary-olivers-poetry-captures-our-relationship-technology/589039/

• Like 1

Hello Forum Members, the words that inspired me most are not in reference to mindfulness; they are about children. They are from the book "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran, the section called "On Children". The entire piece is brief but my favorite words of his follow.. "Your Children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life';s longing for itself. They come through you but not from you. And though they are with you they belong not to you." To me, it reminds all parents that children are born to them but also to the world. The role of the parent is to love, guide and care for them so they can release their special talents to the world. Daniel

• Like 1

On Peace from Jaiya John:

'Catching peace is not like catching a fish or a cold.

To catch peace, you have to let go.

Peace is not a catch and release, it is a release and catch.

Release everything and catch peace.'

This was shared during a meditation led by my teacher recently and it has been humming in my awareness since.

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 3/26/2021 at 3:45 PM, Daniel A. Detwiler said:

Hello Forum Members, the words that inspired me most are not in reference to mindfulness; they are about children. They are from the book "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran, the section called "On Children". The entire piece is brief but my favorite words of his follow.. "Your Children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life';s longing for itself. They come through you but not from you. And though they are with you they belong not to you." To me, it reminds all parents that children are born to them but also to the world. The role of the parent is to love, guide and care for them so they can release their special talents to the world. Daniel

Very true words. Thank you for sharing Daniel!

On 3/26/2021 at 5:50 PM, Rachel said:

On Peace from Jaiya John:

'Catching peace is not like catching a fish or a cold.

To catch peace, you have to let go.

Peace is not a catch and release, it is a release and catch.

Release everything and catch peace.'

Wow. You have shared words by Jaiya John before. Again I am struck by their depth and simplicity. I am going to save this one.

• Like 1