Gillian Sanger

Favourite mindfulness quotes

• Administrators

What are your favourite mindfulness quotes?

I love this one by Alan Watts, but there are so many:

“One is a great deal less anxious if one feels perfectly free to be anxious, and the same may be said of guilt.”

There are plenty listed here for inspiration 🙂 https://mindfulnessexercises.com/mindfulness-quotes-images/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just want to share a quote by William James that was in Principles of Psychology in 1890-

"The faculty of voluntarily bringing back a wandering attention over and over again, is the very root of judgement, character, and will. No one is compos sui [of sound mind] is he have it not. An education which should improve this faculty would be the education par excellence. But it is easier to define this ideal that to give practical directions for bringing it about."

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gillian Sanger said:

Lovely quote @Rachel. It reminds me of another 'sign quote' that was posted at the ashram I studied yoga at. It read:

"Practice while you can. You'll need it when you can't."

Love that! Thanks Gillian!

• Like 1

• Administrators

Both beautiful quotes above! I remember once having to broach a very difficult topic with someone and I could feel my throat knotting up. I was quite conscious of it as it was happening, and so silently whispered, 'This is okay. This is okay.' So I resonate with: Speak your truth, even if your voice shakes.

On 6/3/2020 at 11:31 AM, Gillian Sanger said:

Both beautiful quotes above! I remember once having to broach a very difficult topic with someone and I could feel my throat knotting up. I was quite conscious of it as it was happening, and so silently whispered, 'This is okay. This is okay.' So I resonate with: Speak your truth, even if your voice shakes.

I'm so glad...I can relate, I notice my throat chakra (not sure if you're familiar with chakras) closing up if I have something difficult to say, or if there's a message, whether coming from someone else or from my own psyche, that I'm having a difficult time listening to.  Or, I'll notice my throat getting dry or developing a bit of a cough. It's interesting to pay attention to the quality of your throat on various occasions. It really is affected by communication- both given and received. To open my throat, I practice what my yoga teacher called a "wolf howl": inhale through your nose, then exhale through your mouth as you tilt your head upward, exposing your throat, extending your chin forward and pursing your lips so you sort of make a circle with your mouth. I picture calming wind flowing from my heart through my throat. It really helps! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Oh wow! I love the idea of a wolf howl. I will most certainly be practicing that!

And yes! I know quite a bit about the chakras. Have you ever heard of the book "Eastern Body Western Mind" by Anodea Judith? That was the book that gave me a lot of insight into the chakra system.