jane508

28 Day Meditation Challenge

15 hours ago, Gillian Sanger said:

I can definitely relate. There are times when I'm speaking with someone and they bring something up that triggers a thought in me. I feel this urge to want to share it, holding onto it in a way, which then makes it difficult to really be present for them. It definitely helps to simply notice this, and I often just remind myself, "Just set it aside for now. You will have time later to share this." 

There's a great article up on the website about mindful listening: https://mindfulnessexercises.com/what-is-mindful-listening/

Hi Gillian! Thanks for the great link. What an awesome in depth article. I especially learned from the paragraph where they were talking about "to listen not only to the physical words, but what emotion, thoughts, etc are behind the words".... I can imagine this can be very helpful if you are dealing with highly emotional people or difficult customer. This way I am not so overpowered by "challenging" energies...Thanks!

• Like 1

DAY 9 FULL BODY BREATHING

How does stopping to take a whole body breath affect your mood or attitude?

Never thought of a “transition time” and to stop right there before diving into another task.  This for sure is helping a lot with being more alert and observant about my breathing and kind of setting the tone for the next task with more intention. I really love the expression  "stopping during the transition time" - it definitely affects my mood or attitude in a positive more engaging way and being prepared and more focused. So many good tips and it is just day 9 ha ha.... can't believe there are still 91 days following until 100, but let's stay present😊 thanks (it is amazing how often I hold my breath when I am typing in front of a screen, I am wondering how you can be mindful to breathe deeply during all these tasks at the same time... watching, thinking, reading, typing... all at once... if you guys have ideas on this, feel free to share it please.... thanks

• Like 1

• Administrators

I'm glad you liked the article Jane! 

Regarding your question about remaining mindful of the breath during a variety of tasks at the same time: I think it is helpful just to take frequent breaks to check in with the breath, rather than focusing on being mindful throughout the duration of tasks. Is that what you meant? I think it's natural to not be aware of the breath all the time (let's say while we're reading for instance). But as we practice checking in with the breath from time to time, our awareness will naturally broaden.

Day 10: STAYING OPEN

1. Some effects of this practice period so far for me have been an increased awareness of my inner and outer world. If life seems to be challenging for me (like this week) and I am not in proper balance, my sensitivity has increased and I can sense  bodily signs of an unstable body mind connection like a nervous stomach or tension in certain body parts much earlier, telling me it is time to “tune in”;)

2. What I’m surprised about in my life right now is within these 10 days of practice my responding towards people, either in person or through thoughts, has become more compassionate and I noticed I am naturally more open to simply listen in another effortless way. So so grateful about this 🌸

20 hours ago, Gillian Sanger said:

I'm glad you liked the article Jane! 

Regarding your question about remaining mindful of the breath during a variety of tasks at the same time: I think it is helpful just to take frequent breaks to check in with the breath, rather than focusing on being mindful throughout the duration of tasks. Is that what you meant? I think it's natural to not be aware of the breath all the time (let's say while we're reading for instance). But as we practice checking in with the breath from time to time, our awareness will naturally broaden.

Yes, Gillian, this is exactly what I meant. I felt relieved when you said it is natural To not being aware of the breathing all the time, which of course makes total sense. Thanks, this is wonderful advice to check in from time to time with the breath and over a period of time my awareness will naturally broaden. I love this Explanation. Thank you!

• Like 1

Day 11

Integrated Body Scan

Q1) The way I use my body has an impact in such that if I consciously remind myself to be aware of breathing deeper and allowing more ease to into the body, at the same time I can allow myself to be more connected to others, to nature and to myself. 

Q.) How others respond?  How does attention on your body language and breathing impact your communication?

I believe others can really sense, even unconsciously as well,  the state of my being that I am  emanating from my body.

Regarding my communication, If I am more aware of bodily sensations and the emotional state of being I can communicate and speak more from my heart, intuition and sense of wisdom rather than reacting solely from my intellectual mind.

This integrated body scan was indeed very focused, relaxing and I could feel more blood circulation, vibration, and aliveness in each body part I was consciously focusing on. Thank you very much.

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 7/31/2021 at 5:44 AM, jane508 said:

Yes, Gillian, this is exactly what I meant. I felt relieved when you said it is natural To not being aware of the breathing all the time, which of course makes total sense. Thanks, this is wonderful advice to check in from time to time with the breath and over a period of time my awareness will naturally broaden. I love this Explanation. Thank you!

Glad my words were helpful for you 🙂

• Thanks 1

Day 12

What impact did stopping and practicing a minute of silence have on your next activity?

By consciously stopping, I noticed how much I can even more slow down and experience the moment to moment awareness with more appreciation. Right now my days are packed with challenges and pausing really helps me to tune in and know how Precious the present moment is. And, in fact, I can be more effective in my tasks without rushing. So let’s Breathe in, breathe out, one step after the other. Also, helps at the computer! By practicing stopping while doing computer work I noticed how much I’m rushing from one task to the other and by just pausing for a quick moment or a minute helps a lot to improve my breathing and relaxing the body. 🥰

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gillian Sanger said:

Thanks for sharing this, Jane. I read this and took a minute of silence before responding. It was great to close my eyes, to feel the sun through the window, and to just breathe.

Thanks Gillian for your input. As I read your post I could sense a soothing feeling of the warm sun touching my eye lids, just by imagining it☀️

• Like 1

Day 13 

Relieving Stress Meditation

Pick an activity today that has the potential to trigger you or cause you stress. Perhaps it’s a commute to work, or a particular job or activity, or possibly an interaction with a difficult person. When you begin that activity, make a commitment to notice any trigger or stress response and try using SBNRR (Stop, Breathe, Notice, Reflect, Respond) to navigate the activity.

1 Q.) What were the signals that a trigger response or stress was present? 

Today I sat with someone in a car (the drive was about 40 min) for a longer period of  time and this person is talking non-stop, either this person is highly enthusiastic and euphoric or super emotional neg or pos...after 20 min or so this behavior triggered in me a feeling of almost becoming short-tempered today. It was 5.30 AM in the morning. I was aware of a shallower breathing pattern and I had to "breathe out" the tightness in my traps and belly... what a morning 🙂 After a while I looked out of the window and asked myself.. what happens if I don't engage so much in what this person had to say but rather listen to it as if it was a play on stage.... and this made it much easier for me to "handle" this at that moment.

2 Q.) What parts of SBNRR were easy for you?  Difficult?  Stopping, breathing, noticing are more on the easy side. Then reflecting on it and responding is another challenge. Actually I didn't really focus on "reflection",  but with hindsight, I could have just observed his face, appreciating his many good qualities  and his good intentions in everything he is doing... by doing this I would feel more understanding and compassion.

3 Q.) How did practicing SBNRR impact the outcome of the situation? A huge impact. It teaches me on how to respond wiser and just make decision from a point of centeredness. High five to "SBNRR" 🙂 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Day 14

Self ~ compassion

I found the expressions in The end of the video very helpful to offer ourselves a sense of compassion and kindness through difficult and challenging times. 

1. Areas of my life where I can be more forgiving are …  This reminded me of the forgiveness prayer that personally helped me a lot to forgive moments from the past in Childhood.
2. If I were more forgiving of these areas, it would allow me to….

As I was able to forgive that was the first time that allowed me to let go and move forward much easier with life.
Thanks for this  self compassion video, It feels always “connecting”  to bring a sense of self compassion to the moment and yourself.💜

Edited by jane508
  • Like 1

Day 14 

11 days later I started again with day 14 and 2 sentences stayed on my mind here. First, no matter how hard the situation is, you can still be kind to yourself and 2nd, it's going to be okay. Both phrases opened a realm of trust and warmth in me.  Sometimes there were people opening their heart to me and sharing their sorrow and sometimes you don't know what to say or how to help. I will remember these two phrases and hope this will bring more ease and acceptance towards difficult situations in life. Thank you for this beautiful meditation.

This little ladybug was sitting next to me on a wooden bench at a Japanese garden near my place...that was many years ago. I felt to share it with you guys. It loves to be here in this forum as well:)

IMG_0016.JPG

• Like 2

• Administrators

Beautiful phrases and reflection, Jane. And thank you for sharing the photo as well! 🙂

Both phrases resonate with me, particularly the first one. It's a great reminder that no matter what, we can always offer ourselves care and self-compassion.

• Like 1

Day 15 Sensory Awareness

Q.) How does this impact how you engage in your day?

By allowing an openness in my sensory awareness I could notice that my walk was not rushed, my breath less shallow and I was easier involved in a nice small talk conversation with strangers and neighbors. Life was more in the moment.