Gillian Sanger

Feeling into the elements for self-awareness

• Administrators

I have become very aware of the presence of different elements lately - in myself and in the collective at large. For me, tuning into elemental awareness helps me to understand the nature of things better and to figure out what I need to for greater balance. For instance, when I am feeling fiery or airy and unsettled, I need regrounding - I need to get myself into the forest.

I am not an expert on philosophies that have long understood the presence of various elements (i.e. Ayurveda, TCM, Native American Traditions), but I am very interested in learning more and hearing if anyone else has tuned into these. If this concept is new to you, I'll share a bit about what I know from Ayurveda:

In Ayurvedic philosophy, each individual has a unique Ayurvedic constitution, which is made up of some combination of the three doshas - kapha, pitta, and vata. Most people also have a predominance of one or two doshas. Each dosha is made up of different elements - kapha = water + earth, pitta = fire + water, vata = air + ether - and it is these doshas and their elements that contribute to who we are. Various factors, such as illness, stress, and environmental conditions, can lead to imbalance in our constitution, and knowing our constitution and any present imbalance can help us to understand what we need to move closer to a state of harmony.

For example, someone with a predominance of pitta has a strong inner fire and might find that they benefit from 'cooling' activities or grounding ones. Someone who is vata predominantly might be prone to anxiety or restlessness and also require grounding techniques and even grounding foods. Someone who has a kapha predominance might find that they benefit from more stimulating activities and foods.

Regardless of what traditions you choose to study (or not), I think we can all tap into what elements and associated energies are most present for us in any moment. From that insight, we might be able to navigate ourselves towards greater balance with specific foods, activities, and other remedies.

ALL OF THIS IS TO ASK:

• What do you know about 'the elements?'
  • Can you sense what elements are strong for you in general? At present?
  • What are you curious about in relation to the elements?

Share your thoughts here - and if you'd like, answer the related poll I posted yesterday: 

I have never thought about the essence of a person from such an angle. But in principle, these methods describe a person's temperament. I used to be calm by nature, but prone to worries, now I feel more motivation to achieve something than I was before. Is it possible for my personality type to change under the influence of some outside factors?

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hi Leslie! Absolutely. Again, I'm not an expert, but I think this could be explained through the idea of prakruti (the constitution we were born with) and vikruti (our current state of being, influenced by anything from climate to food to events in our lives). I found an explanation of it here: https://www.kalya-ayurveda.com/en/prakruti-vikruti

Each one of us also has all elements inside of us, and I do think that it's natural to have different ones come up more strongly at different times. If you feel drawn to this philosophy though, it could certainly be something to look into - to get to know your constitution a bit more 🙂

Thanks for the answer. This is a really interesting approach that promotes self-discovery. This is a great way to find out your weaknesses and possible growth points, working on which you can better realize yourself in life.

• Like 1