luma

My daughter has leukemia

I wasn't sure where to put this, so here goes --

My daughter, who is 40, just found out that she has a rare form of cancer, Chronic myeloid leukemia. They caught it early, but, as with most cancers, the chances of completely eradicating it are slim. Her oncologist told her she needs to be on medication for life. She doesn't want to take a prescription that has side effects that needs two other prescriptions just to counter the side effects.

Here I am, a proponent of natural healing and energy medicine, but all that has gone out the window. She works at a store that specializes in organic products and herbal supplements. She wants to take an herbal supplement instead of the prescription, but I am very worried about her approach. It feels like she is in denial about the severity of her disease. If it progresses, one of the treatments might need to be a bone marrow transplant. I feel guilty, because I never go to the doctor or take prescription medicine. I feel like her attitude is my fault. Can anybody relate to what I'm going through?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ohhhh my …. this is a quite tough and complex situation …. your daughter receiving potentially life-threatening diagnosis by her oncologist, besides the shock to learn that, it seems like here you can’t rely on what worked for you until now:

2 hours ago, luma said:

natural healing and energy medicine, but all that has gone out the window.

I understand you are very deeply worried, afraid of what might be the evolution of that disease with your daughter and maybe there’s also a feeling of overwhelm / mixing of different emotions and also thought-patterns, which show up as «guilt », that’s really no easy situation

I wish you all the courage and support you need

Hugging you warmly ( if that is ok for you)

tribal

Sorry, I am not sure I got the meaning of your question ( english is not my native language), and I realized I wished to express my concern on reading you and send you some supportive words

• Like 3

I too would like to send you love and support.

I find that when I have feelings I'm not entirely comfortable with, I meditate to understand the source of those feelings.

When you are comfortable knowing the answers, talk with your daughter. She will always be your little one and need the safety of your unconditional love.

• Like 3

Hi @luma,

I am so sorry to hear about this. While I have never had such an experience like this, I can completely understand the confusion around treatment options and the thoughts racing in relation to all of this. It must be a very challenging time for you and your daughter (and family).

I agree with @Sondra that taking some time to sit with your own thoughts and feelings might help you to figure out what you'd like to say to your daughter. And then having a conversation... or even writing a letter to share with her in person... to express the confusion, uncertainty, fear, and love that are all present. Maybe there is also a way to find middle ground, perhaps exploring multiple treatment options (i.e. different forms of wisdom/knowledge) at the same time.

You may have already done/explored all of this, but I thought I'd mention it in any case.

Sending you lots of love in regards to this situation and keep us posted on how things go!

• Like 2

Hi, Gillian. Thanks for checking on me.

I got to visit my daughter over Thanksgiving. She lives hundreds of miles away -- that makes it hard. Her attitude is great! She found an oncologist who is willing to give her the green light for taking a natural approach for the first two months, after which she will have more labs done. If her numbers have improved, the doctor told her there is no harm in continuing, but if they have not improved, Amber has agreed to go on the oral chemotherapy. She has started on a holistic health plan, including only organic foods, vitamin B17 from apricot kernels (which has been documented as a cancer fighter), meditation and yoga.

I am so much more hopeful after having seen her. I continue to send her reiki every day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• This community is designed to be a welcoming space to enhance mindfulness inquiry and exploration. In this spirit, please share and respond mindfully and compassionately, cultivating continued respect, safety, and support for all.
  • Recent Posts

• yes thank you for your wishes - i am creating a slideshow video of her for my husband - and here is a picture of chotu, my kitten from india and beasley (beagle) cuddling together - a very rare moment as they have only known each other for 10 months - any ways i am just grateful this forum exists...here's a picture of luna - our blind husky also. Thank you for checking out the meditation - could you share the moola mantra link? - i have one by deva premal  , but not sure its the same one  🙂
    • Tell me about it! It took me years to realize how they saw me. I am not a perfectionist-you should see my house. I am what I call domestically  challenged. It is not awful but not great. I hear what you say about others having so little and I am always aware of the fact that what I have is so much more than many. I do not forget that ever. It is just the big picture of my life that is hard but you are right I need to practice acceptance more and  make my bed every day not just for neatness but there is something about getting that done that seems positive. I spend the first hours after breakfast doing online activist stuff and that is never fun.Such a list as you have is very easy to accomplish. I am good at those things.I am trying and I thank you for your encouragement. Good luck getting through that list! Reading is a wonderful thing which I do at breakfast, dinner, and at bedtime. it really is the smaller things that are important.  I am grateful although i may not sound like it and I will have to try thinking of 3 things every day. 
    • I am sorry to hear about Beasley. It is hard to see them suffer and I love the idea of the forest baths. My Henry loved the woods. I like listening to the Moolah mantra if you know that one and find myself singing/chanting as I walk sometimes. You love trees as I do and I am guessing you live somewhere beautiful. We are lucky. We do what we can for our animals and the answer is never clear. I made a decision and no matter what choice I made i would have questioned it. Beasley is loved and will go peacefully-if only all animals could do that. It will be hard for you and particularly your husband maybe. I understand. Thank you for the meditation. I did it and will save it. She has a peaceful manner. I will try to look up the playlist as well.    
    • such amazing shares from everyone here - i happened to listen to tara brach's rewiring for happiness part 1 - and i loved her suggestion to write or email 3 things we are grateful for, for the next 15 days - then when she asks us to whisper all the things we are grateful for, till she rings a bell, my last sentence was - i am grateful for being able to be grateful... 💚🙏🏼  
    • One of our dogs (actually my husband's dog, but i love her very much too) was diagnosed with congestive heart failure a few ago, and we started doing forestbaths which is to take the dogs into the forest everyday and its been so healing for us and a way for us to spend time with her and it invigorates here - which i imagine gives her a "new" lease on life...and we have been playing snatam 's kaurplaylist to honor the departed which is just beautiful and deva premal & mittal, and the dogs and my kitten (i brought hi from india)  seem to enjoy it...My husband is an arborist and so we love to spend as much time in the forest as we can. I also recorded a 5 minute meditation for my husband - as Beasley is his dog and i know that he will need many calming moments as Beasley begins to decline. so far we are giving her accupuncture treatments which seem to be helping and just wish we had the money and time for a heart surgery... and would love to share it with you guys since there is some much strife in the world at the moment, in addition to lockdowns, and quarantines...  
  • Recent Topics

• Popular Contributors

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.