luma

My daughter has leukemia

I wasn't sure where to put this, so here goes --

My daughter, who is 40, just found out that she has a rare form of cancer, Chronic myeloid leukemia. They caught it early, but, as with most cancers, the chances of completely eradicating it are slim. Her oncologist told her she needs to be on medication for life. She doesn't want to take a prescription that has side effects that needs two other prescriptions just to counter the side effects.

Here I am, a proponent of natural healing and energy medicine, but all that has gone out the window. She works at a store that specializes in organic products and herbal supplements. She wants to take an herbal supplement instead of the prescription, but I am very worried about her approach. It feels like she is in denial about the severity of her disease. If it progresses, one of the treatments might need to be a bone marrow transplant. I feel guilty, because I never go to the doctor or take prescription medicine. I feel like her attitude is my fault. Can anybody relate to what I'm going through?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ohhhh my …. this is a quite tough and complex situation …. your daughter receiving potentially life-threatening diagnosis by her oncologist, besides the shock to learn that, it seems like here you can’t rely on what worked for you until now:

2 hours ago, luma said:

natural healing and energy medicine, but all that has gone out the window.

I understand you are very deeply worried, afraid of what might be the evolution of that disease with your daughter and maybe there’s also a feeling of overwhelm / mixing of different emotions and also thought-patterns, which show up as «guilt », that’s really no easy situation

I wish you all the courage and support you need

Hugging you warmly ( if that is ok for you)

tribal

Sorry, I am not sure I got the meaning of your question ( english is not my native language), and I realized I wished to express my concern on reading you and send you some supportive words

• Like 3

I too would like to send you love and support.

I find that when I have feelings I'm not entirely comfortable with, I meditate to understand the source of those feelings.

When you are comfortable knowing the answers, talk with your daughter. She will always be your little one and need the safety of your unconditional love.

• Like 3

Hi @luma,

I am so sorry to hear about this. While I have never had such an experience like this, I can completely understand the confusion around treatment options and the thoughts racing in relation to all of this. It must be a very challenging time for you and your daughter (and family).

I agree with @Sondra that taking some time to sit with your own thoughts and feelings might help you to figure out what you'd like to say to your daughter. And then having a conversation... or even writing a letter to share with her in person... to express the confusion, uncertainty, fear, and love that are all present. Maybe there is also a way to find middle ground, perhaps exploring multiple treatment options (i.e. different forms of wisdom/knowledge) at the same time.

You may have already done/explored all of this, but I thought I'd mention it in any case.

Sending you lots of love in regards to this situation and keep us posted on how things go!

• Like 2

Hi, Gillian. Thanks for checking on me.

I got to visit my daughter over Thanksgiving. She lives hundreds of miles away -- that makes it hard. Her attitude is great! She found an oncologist who is willing to give her the green light for taking a natural approach for the first two months, after which she will have more labs done. If her numbers have improved, the doctor told her there is no harm in continuing, but if they have not improved, Amber has agreed to go on the oral chemotherapy. She has started on a holistic health plan, including only organic foods, vitamin B17 from apricot kernels (which has been documented as a cancer fighter), meditation and yoga.

I am so much more hopeful after having seen her. I continue to send her reiki every day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Recent Posts

• This is such a good question.  Thank you.  I am trying to live more from my heart center these days.  The feeling in my heart that I am aware of this morning is “gladness.”  I am glad to be alive and to be able to enjoy the gift of this day.
    • This week's question is: What is present in your heart today? Feel free to share multiple times throughout the week (or in the weeks that follow). Without overthinking it, what is present in the energetic centre of your heart space?
    • Hello to all those interested in the intersection between creative arts & mindfulness! I feel inspired to share with you a poem I wrote this morning. Thoughts and feedback welcome ❤️  This breathing body Lay down your fears let them rest awhile coming back home to the pulse that’s in your body. Can you feel it? Can you feel yourself alive? As the wholeness of this quiet, humming body holds you just here without seeking an answer nor confirmation that you, my dear, are enough. This moment this breathing body was never anything but enough. Gillian Florence Sanger https://medium.com/@gillianflorence/this-breathing-body-9c0b43be5f3a?source=friends_link&sk=0b6a839fa667308177941c4b61036914
    • @Ali Zien - Thank you so much for this update and congrats on finding the courage to seek support! It can be so difficult to reach out and ask for help, but when we do, there is great potential for change and healing. I love how you've shared your reaction to the psychiatrist saying he believes you are stressed 😄 and how you were afterward able to note your own resistance this idea. I really think that stress is so pervasive in our society and that even those who practice mindfulness and meditation can be stressed on a much deeper level than we realize. So glad something 'clicked' for you during the session. Keep us posted as time goes on! 🙂 
    • Hello ^_^ a little update: I had the courage to approach my family and tell them that I need a professional help as I am experiencing weekly episodes and cycles of intense joy (4-3 days of the week) followed by depression (not really depression but I think just laziness ) and sometimes my mind start creating silly stories about suicide. and they were very understanding and I am really grateful for their support and kindness ♥ my sister helped me finding a psychiatrist and I just had a session yesterday ! I had few expectations but they weren't met 😄 I told him about addiction,binge eating disorder and relapsing due to the cycle I mentioned before... **Bare in mind, I never met any psychiatrists before or any spiritual gurus in my entire life** my expectations wasn't met because I thought he is going to make me tell him about the entire story of my life and that my present situation is due to "mistakes" that did happen in the past.. but long story short; he said " You are stressed." to be honest I resisted and my ego was kinda offended 😄  (doesn't he know how that I meditate every day for an hour and that I am very positive person and I read X & Y book and I watched X or Y videos about mindfulness and meditation ) this is how my mind reacted. I told him no because I think I am very calm person, I meditate a lot and I am mostly happy and my life is a total bliss and 90% is greatly wonderful but only need to understand how I can accept and change the other 10%. after speaking for a little, he talked again about stressed, and I started feeling like something is wrong and this guy doesn't understand how "Mindful" and "Awaken" I am 😄 ( I only noticed those ego related thoughts after the session ). I told him no I am not stressed in a conscious way  but maybe in a unconscious way like in the background and I am not aware of it.. after a while he started talking about stress and something clicked 😄 I just became aware that truly I am experiencing stress and this is why I tend to lean into these behaviors because they help my mind relax from all the resistance I offer to urges: binge eating helps me to feel relaxed and full this is why my mind repeats this habit and to change this habit I just simply need to nurture my brain and body with the things it needs. he described me an antidepressant medicine to keep me calm ,relaxed and to try for one month and to observe how things will go and I am really excited and grateful because it will help me to commit to my life and to my goals and also my diet 😄 so I can see the results I want. and lowkey I am excited because this medicine will help me being more present, calm and to reap more benefits from meditation !   on a fundamental level I believe it's the thinking mind creating all the suffering, I even recall sadhguru saying that "if we removed half of your brain you will be completely fine and happy" so I believe that easing the stress by medicating and meditating will solve any inconvenience.  the moral of the story is: be present ^_^
  • Recent Topics

• Popular Contributors

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.