luma

My daughter has leukemia

I wasn't sure where to put this, so here goes --

My daughter, who is 40, just found out that she has a rare form of cancer, Chronic myeloid leukemia. They caught it early, but, as with most cancers, the chances of completely eradicating it are slim. Her oncologist told her she needs to be on medication for life. She doesn't want to take a prescription that has side effects that needs two other prescriptions just to counter the side effects.

Here I am, a proponent of natural healing and energy medicine, but all that has gone out the window. She works at a store that specializes in organic products and herbal supplements. She wants to take an herbal supplement instead of the prescription, but I am very worried about her approach. It feels like she is in denial about the severity of her disease. If it progresses, one of the treatments might need to be a bone marrow transplant. I feel guilty, because I never go to the doctor or take prescription medicine. I feel like her attitude is my fault. Can anybody relate to what I'm going through?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ohhhh my …. this is a quite tough and complex situation …. your daughter receiving potentially life-threatening diagnosis by her oncologist, besides the shock to learn that, it seems like here you can’t rely on what worked for you until now:

2 hours ago, luma said:

natural healing and energy medicine, but all that has gone out the window.

I understand you are very deeply worried, afraid of what might be the evolution of that disease with your daughter and maybe there’s also a feeling of overwhelm / mixing of different emotions and also thought-patterns, which show up as «guilt », that’s really no easy situation

I wish you all the courage and support you need

Hugging you warmly ( if that is ok for you)

tribal

Sorry, I am not sure I got the meaning of your question ( english is not my native language), and I realized I wished to express my concern on reading you and send you some supportive words

• Like 3

I too would like to send you love and support.

I find that when I have feelings I'm not entirely comfortable with, I meditate to understand the source of those feelings.

When you are comfortable knowing the answers, talk with your daughter. She will always be your little one and need the safety of your unconditional love.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Hi @luma,

I am so sorry to hear about this. While I have never had such an experience like this, I can completely understand the confusion around treatment options and the thoughts racing in relation to all of this. It must be a very challenging time for you and your daughter (and family).

I agree with @Sondra that taking some time to sit with your own thoughts and feelings might help you to figure out what you'd like to say to your daughter. And then having a conversation... or even writing a letter to share with her in person... to express the confusion, uncertainty, fear, and love that are all present. Maybe there is also a way to find middle ground, perhaps exploring multiple treatment options (i.e. different forms of wisdom/knowledge) at the same time.

You may have already done/explored all of this, but I thought I'd mention it in any case.

Sending you lots of love in regards to this situation and keep us posted on how things go!

• Like 2

Hi, Gillian. Thanks for checking on me.

I got to visit my daughter over Thanksgiving. She lives hundreds of miles away -- that makes it hard. Her attitude is great! She found an oncologist who is willing to give her the green light for taking a natural approach for the first two months, after which she will have more labs done. If her numbers have improved, the doctor told her there is no harm in continuing, but if they have not improved, Amber has agreed to go on the oral chemotherapy. She has started on a holistic health plan, including only organic foods, vitamin B17 from apricot kernels (which has been documented as a cancer fighter), meditation and yoga.

I am so much more hopeful after having seen her. I continue to send her reiki every day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1